Photo by Melody

Sustainable Alternatives: Scariest doomsday scenario?

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 29, Views: 234
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #3288372

I'm sorry to report that I haven't read "Silent Spring." But as terrifying as "1984" was on some levels, my all-time scary book was "A Canticle for Liebowitz."

Guess my personal bugaboo is not rats, but anarchy.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #3288630

I did read Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. Pretty scary. That we are poisoning ourselves and our environment. I have forgotten the date on that book. But, apparently no one,listened, or at least the right people did not listen. We have taught the kids how to recycle. They are willing to learn. The shortage is in teachers to teach them. Hopefully, the forum will recruit some of those teachers.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3288715

Yes, we must show more concern and respect for our planet, the human race, animals and plants.
People forget that everything is connected and all are important. Some people prefer to look at just one or two sides of the picture because it is convenient.
It is sad, but it is hard to convince even your own family, but we must keep trying.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3288791

I don't like doomsday reality checks, but between terrorists, pollution [both ecology and morals], resistant strains of bacteria, and divine judgement, things are potenially terrifying. for many of earth's citizens.

Are things coming to a head?...
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3288826

Indy: When you/ve been around awhile, you realize that none of this is new. And that what is urgent. Teaching children to take care of their heritage, so that their life will be better, . . . not the same old wars we should not have fought, food contamination (oh, maybe that's why I have cancer), and hole in the ozone. Everyone who knows a child needs to take responsability.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3288846

gloria 125,

With the technology of today's terrorists, the increased pressure on nature by a much larger population, and a "now" generation, I don't belive that things have ever been this bad since the antideluvian days.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #3288873

Think how bad, though, that things must have looked during WWII: On the heels of the Great Depression, six million people going to their deaths (not counting soldiers) and then those horrific bombs vaporizing large parts of Japan. The brand-new capabilities of air warfare & missiles, mechanized ground assault ...

It's still unimaginable to me, and yet it was a reality around the globe.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #3288919

Frankly, I think it looks worse now than during WWII which didn't look like total global annihilation although it was very grim. The possibility of blowing up the planet came after the war when more countries had atomic bombs... and now we have hydrogen bombs.

I saw a show on the History Channel last week that tied together the prophecies of the Hopi, Mayan, Bible, Nostradamus and several others. All pointed to something major in 2012, a mere 5 years from now. The metaphysical folks seem to think it will be a swing into a dimension where we will finally all communicate and get along better. Wouldn't that be lovely?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3288928

I meant to add I read Rachel Carson's book eons ago, and I need to read it again. Scary then, probably more so now since we see it happening all around us.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3288941

Some one told me (in the grocery line) that they didn't believe there ever was a man on the moon.

Ive heard people say that those death camps in WWII never existed.

It was all a government hoax to manipulate our thinking.

I think there was a man on the moon. Heard him say, "here's another rock". clunk. in the samples he was bringing back.

I think those death camps did exist. And Ive heard people talk about what they were like. What it felt like. What it smelled like.
One of the things we should fear the most is denial of our history. WWII happened because a lot of people stuck their head in the sand. If we refuse to see where we have been, we sure can't see where we are going.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3289221

Gloria, I had a woman friend years ago in Baltimore. She had a tattoo on her wrist, the only survivor in her family. HOW could anyone deny that the camps existed?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3289247

The thing is, WHY would someone want to deny that it happened?
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3289317

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/02/fb25e81f-bce9-4291-acdb-cf2c5c69fe92.html

this is one. I have heard that some American White Surpremecists also hold this view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3289339

Men who abuse their cdhildren and wives also insist it never happened.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #3289345

The point is: How often have you heard, "that was then, this is now" . . . we are our history, and also our prehistory for that matter. So what does that tell us about our future? For one thing, sticking your head in the sand does not prevent terrible things from happening. So what is the alternative?
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
7:56 PM

Post #3289355

Sometimes those abused wives insist it never happened. "How nice that he cared that much about me?" Cared enough to break her nose.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #3289372

I've cared enough to break a few noses but haven't succeeded. Broke my own once, but that's only because I'm dumb enough to swim into the bottom of a swimming pool.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3289445

History is only written by the Victors.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3289561

As an historian, Ive never read what the victors have to say. Doing history (or prehistory) for me has always been looking at original documents----or the original data. There is a difference between historic research and historic interpretation. History is what it is. Most professional researchers are more interested in the truth than in spin.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #3289572

Yeah, but how do you KNOW you're looking at the originalest of the original? Even something in carved in rock is just one person's opinion!

I've always thought historians had an impossible task.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3289624

True. There are some people who manufacture historic "fakes". But usually when you are doing a research project, there is a body of data, or several bodies of data. If they don't gel, when you write it up, you say, there seems to be a descrepancy between X and Y. Besides the data, there are all the other researchers who have gone before you. It is not done in a vacuum. You have to be accountable to previous scholars, as well as to protocols of your discipline. You don't go off half=cocked and say, this is what happened. you say, this evidence supports this interpretation, whereas, this other evidence does not support it. ... which is probably why most people read a history book, rather than the journals which have the original research.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3289631

That would make me nuts on so many levels.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3289677

Not all historic evidence is in bits and pieces. A few years ago I was doing research on the original capitol of Alabama. This is the period for the 1820s to 1830s. One of the documents was diary of a 15 year old girl. She married a much older man who later became Governor of Alabama. The girl actually died at a very young age, say before she was 20 after having some children who themselves were later important people in Alabama history, (and they wrote journals as well). But the writing in her journal is riveting. You can even feel the ache in her tooth, which she later had to have pulled. She was mortified by the loss of her tooth and its impact on the way she would look, and she had to look good to be presented to the society of frontier Alabama which was important to her husband. She even takes you shopping in that frontier Alabama town to get dressed for an important event. Every detail.

It was so good. I wish someone would make a movie of it.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2007
12:56 PM

Post #3291564

Gloria - life is a movie - and what rating should it have?

One can only decides one's own fate and the care they take with others.

When someone hands you a movie that you do not like the rating of ... you have the choice to accept or to reject. If you reject, IT IS GONE - don't have to worry about it.

I hate watching CNN, (but I still do), I know most media is biased & you have to watch with a certain respect for the truth (which the reporters on any network seen to have forgotten about) but the news seems as "up to date" as possible.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3291721

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...Oh, what a rare commodity in the market place of products and ideas!!
A man I know was a character witness for a man on trial. After a while, he told the judge that he was not able to tell the truth as he was pledged to do. The lawyers were playing games with him trying by asking questions that kept him from telling what he really knew...like.."just answer the question yes or no."

Even agencies and organizations like the FDA and AMA are not trusted very well by me as I know they have so many vested interests to protect. Wellness doesn't pay as well as sickness for them. Sure, individuals in there may be well meaning, but if you are perceived as a threat bv the establishment to their profits...heaven help you.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #3291737

So we should ask (or demand!) [quote]-- A growing emphasis on transparency throughout the international business world
-- Mounting influence of ideas about corporate social responsibility
-- Consumer demand for authenticity in the products we use[/quote]
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3292024

A (any) corporation will act in the best interest of that corporation, though many are becoming more socially response able this is only due to public demand to do so.

When you find a company whose practices do not meet your vision of what is "right", stop consuming their products, and tell your friends also.

The "almighty" dollar is not only what made the country great but will keep it that way with correct usage.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3296761

Rachel Carson's work is as important now as it was when first published in 1962. There have been a number of book reviews in which some folks have called her a murderer, claiming that the ban on DDT caused millions to die from mosquito borne diseases. The really scary part is how many people died from DDT and its connection to polio.

http://www.geocities.com/harpub/

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3300301

I thought of Rachel Carson's book 2 weeks ago when I walked outside on a beautiful spring day, sun was shining, Redbud and Bradford trees were in full bloom...and it dawned on me that something was missing...there were no honey bees buzzing around those trees..none! Usually it seems the trees are just moving with all the bees having a great time ...and loud buzzing to show how happy they were..this year there are none. Thats whats scary to me..

Kris
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #3300326

Oh my! That is scary earthling. I am thankful to see the native burrowing bees, bumble bees and some honeybees buzzing around the perimeter manzanita blossoms and in the garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America