Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sustainable Alternatives: hydronic floor radiant heat

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 8, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 16, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3288610

http://www.radiantdesigninstitute.com/

this site has information on installing hydronic radiant heating in your home. My question is weather this system can be powered by a hydronic Tankless Water Heater (?).
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3290138

My hydronic heating is not in the floor. It is in the ceiling space between the floors and has an electrical fan to blow the hot air through the vents. Most of the Eichler homes have hydronic heating in the floors.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 17, 2007
8:48 AM

Post #3290799

My. Still building Eichler homes (!). I was in California when these were first being built. In an art/architecture class they were hailed as an inovation in affordible architecture. There were the first mass produced homes to have an atrium. Good to see that a good thing has persisted.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3291411

Not building them--maybe renovating but it's been many years since all the Eichlers were built. Newer homes out here now are mostly stucco-covered tract homes. People still like Eichlers, a well-maintained one can command a nice price if you're selling it, and there are lots of people who've bought ones that got a little run down over time and they're trying to restore them to their original glory but they haven't been built in many years.
spot8907
Ida, MI

March 17, 2007
12:34 PM

Post #3291505

So were these homes supposed to be energy efficiant etc. I googled them and see this mentioned anywhere. Or did they just use the hydronic radient heating? More info please. I like the designs I saw with the atriums etc. I'm assuming this was another Eichler trademark.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #3293328

There are many older Eichler neighborhoods in the SF Bay Area. Eichlers designs were some of the first to "bring the outdoors inside". They were energy efficient for their time (and many still are) and relatively inexpensive to build as well as distinctive and attractive in design. Eichler had also designed some low income housing projects in San Fransicso that were quite attractive to look at and didn't yell "tenement". Sadly I think these have since been torn down and replaced with an uglier model.
Quite tragic that Eichler himself died in poverty.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #3296032

Re: hydronic heat from a tankless water heater. I am not a plumber - but since no one else answered - my best guess is that it wouldn't be cost effective because of the volume of water needed. I'm guessing that your tankless heater would be running all the time to keep up the the flow and electricity is not an efficient fuel source to heat water. Maybe someone who knows about plumbing will answer your question.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3296673

Good point Yankee Cat. My current hot water heater runs on gas.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 19, 2007
9:38 AM

Post #3297372

I believe the hydronic floor systems are self contained so the system has to heat the water only one time, from then on temperature is maintained by a thermostat. Some of them are also used for cooling.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America