Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Herrenhauser Garten Brugmansia

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 29, Views: 365
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Renia
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2001
6:44 PM

Post #9784

Herrenhauser Garten Brugmansia.
Does anybody know where could I purchase a cutting of this wonderful plant? I found only ONE nursery on the web that carries it, but the're sold out till spring of 2002. That is a long wait. Help!
Is it difficult to grow?
I don't know much about it. Any info GREATLY appreciated.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2001
11:07 PM

Post #104236

I'm quite sure Liz just got one from Hodniks in France and I purchased one off Barbara Ward. She may have more soon.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 1, 2001
11:19 PM

Post #104243

http://gardensinternational.com/index.htm Used to offer the double orange a while back in the USA. I ordered a few from this company in the USA and they had very fast service. I also ordered a few from overseas and I must say overseas was even faster. I don't wait. Average time from order to delivery was about 2 weeks. Hodniks had the best time though and they are in france. They also have the Culebra and other doubles in color. If one hybridizes and I do, the longer one waits to get a hybrid the farther behind one is. Its that simple. Hope that helps.

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 1st 7:21 PM
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2001
11:35 PM

Post #104260

Brugmansia - got my hopes up on another good one. Went to the site and it's closed. Temporarily.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 1, 2001
11:41 PM

Post #104265

Liz, This site is never closed-just have to find the right aurea's to trade. Hint, Hint...Double oranges, Culebra's,mmmm and so much more-although I think Canada has all the Brugmansia I have already so theres not much left to offer except a few seedlings and such and I have a hard time letting them go...http://www.pelargonium.nl/index_english.html

I can't stand looking at those pictures from that above link by the way. Wishing so many of those hybrids were mine. Ahh...such beauties they are.
>

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 1st 8:34 PM
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

August 2, 2001
2:40 PM

Post #104549

the brug used as background on the catalogue, that is the next one i want, couldn't find its name.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

August 2, 2001
4:31 PM

Post #104605

my baby HG just arrived in the mail, so glad. does anyone know if they are fast growing?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 2, 2001
11:22 PM

Post #104872

HG appears to be a bit slow to get over the shipping and a bit slower to bloom as well. Give it a few extra weeks though and it will begin to grow. Don't expect blooms though as fast as you would on say some nicer aurea type hybrids unless of course you already have buds on your hardwood cutting. Or in other words, the hg yours came from was large enough to have buds starting on it when the cuttings were taken. Seems to be about as fast as the Culebra in growth. Perhaps a slight bit faster, but not much.
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2001
3:55 PM

Post #105625

Hi Brugmansia,
I wrote to Gommer a few weeks ago to ask if they ship to the US,but they can't because they are not allowed to ship with soil on the root ball!! Oh well..they will be able to ship to Switzerland come January(YIPPEE!!)I think someone should tell them it would be cheaper to send them without dirt :).
Arlene,I think that picture is "Desiree".
Gwist

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2001
4:17 PM

Post #105636

theres a herrenhausser on e-bay.It just got too rich for me.So I'm staying outbid
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

August 4, 2001
4:22 PM

Post #105638

gwist, thanks. is this a common one over there? i gasped when i saw it, means it is one i have to have. are there a lot of nice brugs in switzerland?
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2001
4:42 PM

Post #105642

Arlene,
I have seen this one and HG in a catalogue here,but the Brugs that I have seen in gardens are just arborea!!I have to wait until next year to order from Holland,but I want some of these..http://www.kirchner-abel.de/site/fotos.htm
I am hoping this new shipping law applies to Germany as well,otherwise,I will have to take the long journey!!
Enjoy the pictures,Gwist
RA
Burlington, ON

August 4, 2001
8:38 PM

Post #105702

ohhhhhh. Nice Url Gwist :)
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2001
9:41 PM

Post #105712

Isn't it lovely!!!! I had to wipe the drool off of the keyboard after seeing that one lol!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 4, 2001
9:52 PM

Post #105715

Why no pods? I thought B.arborea was highly fertile. Ahh, well I would trade you none the less for an equal amount of my seed or better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is how much one values beauty and such...

This message was edited Saturday, Aug 4th 6:48 PM
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2001
10:15 PM

Post #105729

Brugmansia,
I think it has to do with F&M,but I haven't had the chance to reply.I will pass along that perlite tip,though.Here is a picture of our"common" Brug.http://www.select-samen.ch/images/produkte/015503.jpg
Sorry,no pods,just packs :)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 4, 2001
10:49 PM

Post #105737

Looks a bit like a versicolor to me...

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2001
10:55 PM

Post #105741

Brugmansia,It wouldn't kill me to pay that much for the HH,or a culebra,or any premium plant,but the fact that I saw the prices at hodnik,and know that they are half the price is why I stopped bidding.My bid was over 15.00.I just spent 2x's that much on a canna that next year I can get much cheaper but it is sold out EVERYWHERE.I'm not saying the plant is not worth it,but I don't know if the person selling it is reliable too.Could be sending me anything and I won't know for a year.At least a nursery would be someplace that would stand behind their plant.If hodnik is sold out then I'll probably be upping the bid,theres still 4 days left on it so I expect it will at least double.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 5, 2001
12:50 PM

Post #105930

Crested Chick, you are so very right. You must forgive me as I can be a bit off kilter at times and I don't always say what I mean or how I mean it. Yes, hodniks is much cheaper, but if one orders from overseas then one realizes it is not really cheaper. If one orders from in the states then one will still have to pay about 19 dollars plus shipping. If one orders from still another company you may be waiting for a very long time. Sometimes one pays for immediate delivery or delivery within 2 weeks, other times one pays more for the size or quality of the plants. Still, at other times one pays less for a longer delivery time and smaller plants...its all in what you want really as to how much one has to pay and how soon one wants it...Not to mention where one lives. I am still wishing I lived closer to some of the great Brugmansia hybridizers...Not that I could afford some of their trully spectacular and brand new hybrids. Suffice it to say that I have paid over 250 for a single new Brugmansia. Of course new is relative to location. If your the one who found the cultivar or the one who hybridized that cultivar then of course its very old by your standards by the time its released...
Brugmeister
Gaithersburg, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2001
4:17 PM

Post #106447

Does anyone know of a good source for better brugs at this time of year? I have a dozen of the easier to find, well-know vars, but the 'Brugbug' has bitten me (hard) and I'd like to get a HG, culebra and other "got-to-have its". LBJ seems thin until 2002 on most, Hodnik only has 3 vars on the webpage. Kirchner-abel looks tempting - does anyone know if they are shipping now?

Regards,
Alan
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

August 6, 2001
4:46 PM

Post #106464

welcome, alan...the brug bug is incurable, and probably will be for years with all those gorgeous ones in europe taking their time getting here. there are babies around of the 2 you mentioned, sorry i don't know a source.
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2001
4:55 PM

Post #106468

Alan, Brugmansia posted the full list of Hodnik brugs a while back. Just search back. I just received an order from them a couple of weeks ago. They arrived two weeks after I faxed my order in excellent shape. LBJ is going to take 6-8 weeks. By the way, Hodnik has others not listed in their catalogue (100 cultivars) so you can email them and ask for anything not listed. They will also root to order.
I highly recommend this company.
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2001
4:59 PM

Post #106469

Hi Alan,
Kirchner-Abel won't be shipping until next year,but she said it is best to order now for the coming season.
Gwist
Brugmeister
Gaithersburg, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2001
5:16 PM

Post #106472

Liz: Thanks for clarifying Hodniks - I had read 'Brugmansia's' considerable referenced list of Hodnik vars - I was just puzzled that they weren't on the Hodnik site. Its good to know that they have the larger list available.

Gwist: Thanks for the heads-up on K-A. I'll make a list and inquire.

(First blooms are coming in about 2 weeks)

Regards,
Alan
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2001
5:16 PM

Post #106473

I've got two HG coming in a couple of weeks. I'm thrilled!!!
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2001
5:28 PM

Post #106483

More on hodnik's - I emailed to order a catalogue. It says that if you place an order within 15 days they'll send you a gift. Mine turned out to be a Citronella. Cool, huh? Also you get discounts the more you buy. I'm hooked
Liz
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2001
5:31 PM

Post #106487

Gwist - will the Kirchner people be shipping to North America or just Europe? Do they send out catalogues? It would be something to do while sitting out the winter rains.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 6, 2001
7:36 PM

Post #106521

Liz,
Hodniks is by far my first choice of places to order Brugmansia and very fast...much faster than most places are in the states and these guys are overseas...I must applaud them as my orders to hodniks have never taken more than 2 weeks and always arrive in grand condition.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America