Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Lahaina, Maui

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Have some more time to post another island.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The coast of Maui.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Chenille plant that was as tall as me.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The Ti-plants were taller than me.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I loved the bomiliades but I don't care for these flowers.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Who would have thought of combining these almost maroon Ti-plants with the fiery orange of the bromilades.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The shrimp plants were huge.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Oophs!!! Caught me finching some seeds.

Does anybody know what the orange flowered plant is just ahead of me? I think I have a close up also.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The leaves reminded me of oleander but the flower is out of this world.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Notice the tall dead looking trees? They are wiliwili trees and used all over the islands for wind breaks. A few years ago a wasp was imported onto 1 island by mistake and it spread to all the islands and has killed all the wiliwilis.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Believe this or not but the row of trees behind that lady are plumerias and at least 15'-20' tall.

Does anybody know what the trees are with the banyon roots behind the fish food sign? It looks similar to dracenas.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Isn't this picture perfect?

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

This is the entrance to Maui Tropical Plantation.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The clouds were upon us.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Another one of those unknown trees.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I thought this was scenic.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

By now I'm beside myself and this was still the entrance.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Neat!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hawaiian tree ferns.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

These were orchids that they grow in black trays. They are used to make the leis.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Ti-plants.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

That looks like paradise. I don't know the name of the mystery tree, but surely someone will come along that does. You must have been in ecstasy with all the fabulous plants. Hope you brought lots home.

Loretta

Ripley, MS

Beautiful pictures Jerri, thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Sandra

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi All,
Jeri, wonderful view. I know of only one plant you've mentioned. The Plumeria. Did you take some cutting home? They root very easily here. Love our warm summer climate, but has to overwinter indoor.

I was luckly to have got some cuttings from a friendly local Nursery. Had success rooting this plant. From rooting, to blooming time within one growing season. I've the Pink, and White with Yellow center. They're irresistable.

More pics. from the tropical Paradise, Please.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Great job on the pictures Jeri ! They are just beautiful, and I am sure even more beautiful in person. What a wonderful time you must have had. A gardener's paradise !

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Welcome Lily_love to MSG I'm glad that you enjoyed them. I do have more pictures it just takes so long to upload them. I'll do some more later. I promise!!!

Bonnie so good to hear from you. Yes it was paradise for sure. The sights were unbelievable. I wanted cuttings of everything but was well behaved and didn't. I did collect a few seeds.

Jeri

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Plumeria is fairly easy to grow from seed also. It does not come true so you may get something awesome and brand new.

Loretta

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I bought some cuttings of plumeria and one stick was just hanging on a plumeria tree that was calling my name. The seeds I collected were palm, autograph tree, Afican tulip tree and banyon tree. We'll see if any come up.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Golly! What lovely pictures. I am always amazed at how big certain plants can get...in their correct zone. Thanks for sharing.

Kim

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

OK ladies here are some more pictures from the beautiful island of Maui. This is red ginger.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

This is entering the display gardens of the plantation. Red & Green Ti-plants are beautiful waving in the gentle breezes.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

These are some of the coffee plants.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

More coffee plants with a good shot of the bouganvilla hedge in the background.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

This is where they are starting to cut down the wiliwili trees hoping they will come up from the roots.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Papayas almost ready to harvest.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

These were loaded. Notice they ripen from the bottom up.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Even the aloe blooms everywhere.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Booneville, MS

Thanks for the pictures, Jeri. They are beautiful. I can imagine what they looked like in person...it would be overwhelming.

Terrye

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

This is Feb. can you believe the bananas

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Terrye it was my dream come true. It was everything I thought it was.

Here are bananas by the bunches.

Thumbnail by jeri11

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.