Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Decorating: Candles inside the fireplace?

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 18, Views: 274
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3290182

Do any of you use your fireplace for decoration only? No fires. I am helping a daughter w/ her new home that was formerly a rental. I have cleaned the fire box out completely. I want to paint it, the inside of the firebox, w/ black fireplace paint and then get some sort of graduated thingamajig to put pillar candles on. This dear child of mine is not big on house cleaning and cleaning out a fireplace would never get done. Sometimes I wonder who raised her!!!
speckledpig
Satsuma, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #3290189

LOML got a stairstepped candle holder (I think it holds like 12 or 15 or so) from the Southern Living catalog (I think).

David
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3303992

I see a lot of people let their fireplaces "sit by the wayside" so to speak and never use them. My grandparents actually built one in the home they built themselves and in 20 years I'd never seen it used. I think it is pretty at least to use it for decoration. My parents currently have a nice fake log that holds tea light candles down inside it in their fireplace. Pretty neat!
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

March 21, 2007
11:45 AM

Post #3305196

I don't use my two fireplaces because all they do is suck the heat out of the house and pull it up the chimney.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2007
11:54 AM

Post #3305227

Oh that's to bad! So it's a wood burning one?

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #3309336

We use our woodburning fireplace. In the summer, I sometimes put a fireplace candleholder in it. It can also be pretty if you back the candles with a mirror.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2007
6:14 PM

Post #3309623

I forgot about the mirror technique. thanks for reminding me.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3310122

I have some candles staged on the hearth right outside my fireplace--didn't put them inside because I didn't feel like cleaning it out, but at least it adds a little interest. I'm planning to convert it to gas logs one of these days so that I can actually use it, but until then the candles add a little interest.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3310129

We use it for fires in the fall and winter and then put the graduated pillar holder thingie in for the summer. Hubby cleans it out real well and then in it goes. We actually light it quite often, for parties, etc. I love it. I didn't know about the mirror technique! Will definitely be trying that out.

I have put greenery around the pillars in the past, esp in the early fall, fake fall leaves, and that was pretty too. Have to be careful none of them are near the flames. It is in the fireplace but don't want to lose the nice fake fall leaves!

Gwen
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2007
12:12 PM

Post #3315391

I use glass blocks (you know, the ones they use for making glass block bathroom walls?) for graduated height and sit hurricane candles in lots of different colors on them. I have half-blocks and several different sized ones that I've collected over the years so there are lots of heights. The array of different colored candles is pretty striking in there. The mirror is a grand idea. I'll try that.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #3315402

I forgot to say you might also want to set the candles on a mirror in addition to having one behind them.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #3316643

glass blocks is another great idea.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #3327060

Ok Y'all ... Now DON'T laugh but I have a wood burning fireplace and I live in Florida. Fortunately (Yes I did say fortunately) we don't have to use it very often, some winters not at all ... but, I still LOVE having a Fireplace! Years ago a friend gave us a candle holder specifically for the fireplace. Nice ambience at times! I LOVE the idea of a mirror in back behind the candles, and maybe on either side also to reflect the candle flames! I am gonna try that! Oh ... and the Glass Blocks! Another Great idea that I have to try!

Thanks for the tips!

Lin

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2007
9:26 AM

Post #3328468

Plantlady, I'm only about 50 miles from you, and we have a fireplace, too. In fact, we had one when we lived in Miami. A fireplace was one of my absolute requirements in both places. Wouldn't be without one!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2007
10:06 AM

Post #3328600

BivBiv ... I can't imagine not having a fireplace either, even in Florida. It is so nice to have a fire when we have a VERY cold day! You must be South of me since I see you are in zone 9b ... so you stay even warmer than we do here in Daytona Beach! My Sister and Brother In Law in Lauderdale keep saying they want to put a fireplace in their house! I can't imagine NOT having one!

Lin

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2007
11:05 AM

Post #3332359

Although I have a gas fireplace in my living room I wanted something soothing for the bedroom so I made a faux fireplace and also use the candles for ambiance but know how careless I could be I purchased 3 larger candles that have a stand and run on batteries..they flicker and no chance of fire and safe for animals and it gives me the same effect...each cost me about $24.99 but I recharge the batteries and no need to replace the candles...
jmp24
Medford, NJ

April 30, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6481805

Places like Michaels sell pillar candles of all different heights for pretty low prices, in the off season I put about 15 into my fireplace, using bricks to get some height in the back. Sometimes I use a mix of creams, whites, maybe a few pale peach colors, even a warm red, sort of to mimic the real colors of fire. And sometimes I just stick to white or cream.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6491104

I like the idea of variety; red, white & blue in July?
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7511085

I would like to have one of the pillar candle holders for ours. We have a big brick fireplace (it takes up the whole corner wall). Normally we only get to use it a couple of times a year. However, this year seems to be different...

Many years ago when we rented a house that had a fireplace we moved in during the summer. We were so excited about having a fireplace that we lit a fire in it and turned down the A/C. Smoke came bellowing out of the chimney, naturally, and one of our neighbors called the fire dept. They were relieved to know that it was in the fire place, but we did get some strange looks from the firefighter at the door! HAHA!!

Jeanne

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America