Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Grass and Bamboo: When to prune?

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lengels
Woodstock, IL

March 17, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3291598

We have 3 beautiful "Hameln" Dwarf Fountain Grass plants. (Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln'). We're new to grasses, and would like to know when and how much to prune. Right now they are about 16" high and a beige-white color. We live in Zone 5 (Chicago).
Thank you.
Laurie

donn
Great South Bay, Lon, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #3291786

Now is good, and cut them down to about 3".
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

March 17, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3292817

Tie the top together and wack it off, then use a weed-whacker to shave it down. I would wait until this cold front moves out, like by next Wednesday, we live on the south side. I lost a couple of nice sized grasses last year because I didn't cut them back far enough, early in the season. They suffocated, according to the folks at Sid's.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America