Aliens in my soil...

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

When I was bringing in nice rich soil, decomposing grass clippings and leaves, etc from the woods next to my yard...I am quite sure sure I have come across a new species. Have you seen the movie Aliens? It looks like a white grub...only much more vicious and fierce. It doesn't have a brown head like white grubs are supposed to, no....it has big whitesh bubbly eyes. And on the first set of "legs"....they have huge claws!
And they are as big as a quarter and they're plump and look like if you squeeze...well...(think Animal House, the movie). What are these things??? And do I need to go and get them out of my lasagna? Out of about 12 wheelbarrow loads I think there were maybe 6 of them I saw.
What should I do? Have I stumbled upon a new species? Maybe I should call National Geographic...
Ping

Quoting:
What should I do?

Stop stealing 'from the woods next to your yard' !!! lol

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Tin foil hats for all your plants.

Somerville, MA(Zone 5a)

big bugs result in big larvae. could be cicada. [shrug]

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok...fun's over....
I am totally serious and this is freaking me out. (smilin')
Do I have a problem on my hands?

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

If I have to...I'll go find one of those "aliens" and take a picture. (Not today...it's too cold and 30 mph winds)But let's try and figure this out first...any more comments?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you can get a picture of one, someone might be able to tell you what it is. Sorry to disappoint you, but I doubt if it's a new species :) It's probably something that lots of other people have too and if you post a pic someone's sure to know what it is and whether it's something to worry about or not.

First you need a Pic.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
This web Site will give you an answer within 1 hour . Guaranteed .
Ask in ID Request .

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Ping-
Ginger wrote "Stop stealing 'from the woods next to your yard' !!! lol"
That was a gut buster LMAO. Hilarious :-)
Seriously though...........
Good luck ID'ing your creepy crawly.......... you could always name it 'Ripley' (!)
Samantha
(almost finished with something heading to NC)

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok...I'm just goiing to have to go find one and take a picture. I spent a good 30 mins. looking at all the pics at the bug guide web page and nothing came close.
This will be very interesting...I wish I had a better digital camera.
Tune in tommorow for a new episode of "Alien in My Soil"...

Today IS tomorrow ! and I`m here waiting .
I`m sitting in monday here in Aus.
I think you still have Sunday ?
Show us those bugs .
I`ll show you all one of My bug Shots while I wait .

Thumbnail by ginger749
Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Ginger...you are too funny!
I hope that one day, when I make over to your side of the world to visit my winemaker friends, I can come by and meet you!
So...I'm headed out right now (had to let it warm up..brrrr) and if I'm not back in an hour...please send animal control.
Ping

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ping, waiting on your pics still. LOL

Me three .

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I know. I know...
I went out in my lasagna bed and moiled around a bit but it was difficult because I didn't want to mess up my layers. Probably wouldn't hurt it though.
So, bright and early tomorrow, I will go out and try again to slay the beast. I assure you...this is for real. I was not drinking any wine at the time.
But I am concerned that these grubs/larvae or whatever will hatch and become a colony in my lasagna and take over.
I will venture forth into the unknown at the light of day to fulfill my destiny and will not return empty handed.
Ping

PS Don't think I didn't notice that no reinforcements were sent....

I could send you a couple of hundred of these cute little fellas .
They eat EVERYTHING . They have been known to eat shoes & thongs .
By the way , That`s a 1 gallon Ice Cream tub he is lying on .

Thumbnail by ginger749
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh they were, just a little late. LOL.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello...it's me. I'm sure you all were very concerned, but I am A-OK...It was a tough battle but nonetheless, I prevailed. Never once did my preserverance waver...because I knew I had a mission. A mission to inform all future gardeners that there will be times when the soil traveled on, will not be friendly. So do not despair my fellow freaks of nature...for I will never think twice to step forward...into the unknown, to moil in the soil fearlessly...to capture the..."Aliens of the Soil"...
Anyone rolling up their pant legs yet?

Ok...let's hear it! What is it???
By the way...I was too close and it's blurry. But I took about 27 pictures, so if you need another one, I can send it.

Thumbnail by Pinger42
Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

~~~~~NEWSFLASH~~~~~

I went outside to wash off some more seedling trays and checked in on the "Certronzenator" and he had a worm...right there in the grips of his claws...sucking the life out of him..her..him/her/them.
I quickly scooped him up (with protective armor of course) and plunged him into a bowl of water and then it happened.
I kid you not....his underbelly glowed. Yes, it glowed. It was what do you call it...crap...uh... transcendental? no.... transparent? no... Irredescent! That's it! This is really getting good. I can see it now....
"PINGER - LOCAL HERO SAVES CROPS" I knew my time was coming.....

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

That does look like an alien...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pinger, that is truly nightmarish. I hope you are not just pulling our leg(s).

If it's real, I won't be planning any trips to your part of the country anytime soon!

Makes me appreciate our chilly climate; NOTHING like that would ever survive here. LOL.

Joanne

It`s a plain old Garden variety Cicada .
Google it . And you will see .
They don`t bight ppl.
If I find a good story on them , I`ll post it up .

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Well......it looked like an alien.

Thumbnail by Pinger42
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I remember seeing the Cicadas coming out of the ground one time when I was a kid. Suddenly there were big holes everywhere with these large bugs crawling out. Sure seemed like an alien invasion.

Quoting:
Sure seemed like an alien invasion.

Have you thought what they think of us when they first appear out of the ground .
Can you imagine what they are thinking when they see US standing there on 2 leggs ,
A shovel or spade in hand . And a Green watering can , Trying to drown them ???
Not a Pretty Sight I might add . lol Kell

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

We had our cicada invasion last year. If you think they look alien now, wait until you hear them chattering and buzzing all night...

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I honestly had no clue what my "alien" was...
But I hope for those of you who popped in, enjoyed the wee bit of humor. (smilin)
Pinger

OMG!!!! What is that crawling across my window sill? (hee hee)

I hope it is not one of these on your Window Sill .
If it is . You better look out , Or Run very fast .
http://www.funpic.hu/files/pics/00031/00031751.jpg

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Yup Ping, it was fun, but I would have enjoyed it more if you could have produced a real alien, sigh... Ginger, shame on you for ruining the horror with reality. I was seriously scared when I saw them come out as a kid though. When the bad movie version of Heinlein's Starship Troopers came out I relived the whole thing. I never thought about looking at it from their perspective though...

That would be somewhat challenging but fun so let me try... I wake up after 7 years from some really good dreams. I DON'T want to get out of bed. But something makes me so I wake up and look around. DIRT is all I see. Oh and a worm and some roots. Something instinctual points me up so I head that way, slowly moving the dirt with my claws (claws? when did I get claws). I move dirt for what seems like hours (and I spend a long time going around that rock). Finally I see light!

I come out and start playing the song I have been taught that will bring peace and harmony to the earth. And just then I notice the Giant. It must be 1000 times taller than me... It lifts me and carries me away. To a better place? I see a bright light as the giant worships me with a silverish device. The giant moves me again to a hard place. I see a shadow as the bottom part of the giant moves towar.....

Hey jkehl , Don`t stop now .
I want to hear the bit when the Australian Aborigines eat You .lol

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Ginger have you ever heard the song,"every party has a pooper, that is why I invited you..."? i was thinking it was a bloody alien /earth bug manufactured in a space ship. It freaking glowed man, explain that mr. Pinger, I wanted to move to Moresville so i could work for Nascar but now i must rethink it. i don`t like that bug. When we moved here from Ohio we found this hideous spider in our house, it was called a violin spider and we had these spiders called vinegeroons, if they bite you, your mouthtastes like vineger for a long time.

Anyway hell , What are you doing here ???
You haven`t posted on my toilet thread yet ?
Loosing our touch are we .
You do know I`ve missed you .
In the Mid-South is My thread called ' WHAT are YOU '.
Go add something Fun there .TTFN.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Rolls up a News Paper Splatzzzzzzzzz thats the end of that cicada

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I like your style, that would be my appoach, vwap, no mas aliens en mi casa ni jardin. Ginger I am a dingbat, I didn`t thread watch it accidently so.....oops again

OK hell I hear you . lol

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

i keep getting calls in the middle of my very valuable input as to whether the roll should go over or under, this is a source of contention in our home and fathered many discussions. lol good one Kell

So did you add a comment to the thread / roll ?
It`s a bit like our bush walking " only leave Foot Prints Behind "

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

yep and I agree giggling still sorry we jacked your alien thread, we`l behave now... if we can

Pinger42 ,
Can we see a better Pic . of your alien ?
Hijack not intentional . Kell

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Helln, don't brown recluse spiders have a violin shape on their backs?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.