Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Potatoes...when to plant in central Indiana?

Fountaintown, IN(Zone 5b)

My garden has lain fallow for at least two years (I moved tomatoes in a sunnier spot) so I think it's okay to plant potoes where the tomatoes grew before. But I don't know whren I can plant the potatoes. Hoosiers: when to plant???

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not a hoosier, but based on the average last frost date for Indianapolis of May 9. I would suggest between March 20 - April 10. Northern Indianna up to a week later (Gary), or a week earlier in southern Indianna (Evansville).

Fountaintown, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Farmerdill!
I'll be planting on April Fool's Day if the weather will allow...right now we have water standing in the low spots.
Carol (ezgroonly)

Somerset, KY

How about Somerset,Ky. and planting potatoes ?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Average frost date for Somerset is 5/10, so any time now.

Independence, MO(Zone 6a)

The Burpee book on vegetables says you can plant potatoes when the soil is 40 degrees, wherever you are.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And me, mr. old-fashion, I plant them when the dandelions are flowering in open spaces.

If ya'll have dandelions in your area, check it out...(I'm a big believer in "phenology".)

And by the way, as it sure wouldn't hurt to break your ground when possible, thereby warming up the soil a bit (and drying it) so you spuds won't rot if the weather stays a bit too coolish.

Happy Growing to all!
Shoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.