AuthorContent
timfoss445
Linden, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3293506

Hello friends!

I need the garden God's help to get rid of my super aphids in our small greenhouse. I call them super because I have thrown everything under the sun that is organic and then some at them...They laugh and go back to sucking the life out of my brug's... They look like a typical white/yellowish aphid but these guys survive EVERYTHING! I have tried numerous houshold recipes, neem, pyrethrins, mints, herbs, garlic, onions, beneficial lady bugs, Green lacewigs and I cant shake them. Does anyone have a successful way to help?

PS I tried to take a picture but my camera would not focus close enough to get a good look at them.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2007
12:18 PM

Post #3294447

You probably just need to keep at it--they reproduce very quickly and if you already had a large infestation before you started trying to get rid of them then anything you do is going to kill some but not all, then what's left can reproduce, so you need to be persistent and gradually the problem will get better. I would also not bring in the lacewings or ladybugs while you're using all that other stuff--it'll kill them too (especially the neem and the pyrethrins). I've had good luck with insecticidal soap (usually I just hose them off with water, but if the infestation is really bad I'll use the soap). They're soft bodied insects and insecticidal soap is very effective against them.
ice_worm
Palmer, AK
(Zone 2a)

March 18, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #3294970

I don't know what "brugs" are, but is it possible to move the victim plants out of the greenhouse until you get rid of the aphids in the greenhouse? If you can treat the greenhouse and the plants separately, you may have a better change of getting rid of the aphids.

Aphids are hard to get rid of sometimes. Best of luck to you. :)
timfoss445
Linden, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #3296074

Thanks! I have tried everything in my arsenal to control these things...Although I have many times, I live in zone 5 and unfortunately cannot venture out of the greenhouse to spray them down all the time. I thought maybe somebody had a home remedy that will help them take a dirt nap :-)
Yes, I tried the neem and pyrethrins a couple of months before the beneficial release and sprayed everything down with water weeks before I decided to try beneficials. Hopefully spring will arrive soon uhhhg.

Brugs are brugmansia's :-) Just a short name...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3296267

I would try the insecticidal soap, I've found it works really well on aphids when I haven't gotten rid of them by just hosing them off. It works better than neem in my experience, never used pyrethrins so can't comment on those. You'll need to do it pretty frequently--aphids multiply like crazy so if you're not out there every day or two they're going to bounce back pretty quickly. I would guess you may also have ants out there, they help to protect the aphids, so I would also put out some ant bait to take care of them, once you get rid of the ants the aphids become a bit easier to manage.
timfoss445
Linden, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3298728

Thanks for the tip! :-)
watersedge
Northeast Harbor, ME

March 20, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #3301902

I've had good luck with nicotine tea. Just buy some cigarettes (organic if you must) and open the pack. Throw it into a 5 gal bucket and fill w/ water. Steep overnight and blast them the next day. Last year, I actually bred a population of aphids that were resistant to Safer Soap so I came up with this.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3309205

I use regular liquid dishwashing soap,( not the dishwasher type ) 1 tablespoon to a quart of water, and spray with it. You have to be sure you get under the leaves and wet the plant thoroughly, you don't have to worry about getting it on you, so you can do a good job. If the aphids are very bad, do it two or three days in a row, and they will be gone.
timfoss445
Linden, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3330516

Thanks frostweed! I will give that a shot.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2007
5:57 AM

Post #3335532

Funny you should post this. I went out to my sun room yesterday to look at my two small and recently-purchased brug's and noticed that they had an aphid problem which seemed to appear out of nowhere. Out of reflex, I reached for a homemade insecticidal soap and sprayed them heavily all over. Part of me was fearful that the mixture might be too much for brugmansias as this is my first time growing them... but I kept on spraying anyway. I'll hit them again for the next two days and hope for the best. I guess I'd better spray my figs as well, they are in the same room and just coming out of dormancy.
Kristi_L
Kalamazoo, MI

March 30, 2007
10:54 AM

Post #3336289

Ladybugs. Every year when the aphids arise to bother the roses, I release the ladybugs. They eat and then leave, but the aphids are gone for the rest of the season. I would think that because the greenhouse is enclosed, you'd have even greater success.
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3350975

Yikes! Do not use tobacco on Brugs. They'll get the nasty Tobacco Mosaic virus and will die.

http://groups.msn.com/FLORIDAGARDENING/weeklyplant.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=3490&LastModified=4675463521571600461

Here's a good thread on Neem Oil: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/648454/

This message was edited Apr 3, 2007 1:28 PM
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 10, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #3377299

I've been using my tried-and-true method for aphids here in my yard. I give them a sacrificial plant, one they cannot resist (either broccoli or cauliflower are favorites). This works well for me because I've already harvested the main crop of both before the aphids hit. I let them take the rest. I still water these and try to keep them as healthy as possible otherwise, so that they are good bait. I can usually keep them going pretty well, even in summer, at least enough for the aphids. If I were to use this method in a greenhouse I think I'd grow the broccoli/cauliflower outside of the greenhouse until they were plenty big and strong (in pots of course so they are transportable), then one-by-one put them in the greenhouse and carry the aphids out with them when they are totally covered. I swear I don't have an aphid on another plant in my garden when I do this. If my current plants don't make it through the summer then I'll use Neem. It works great too, just more trouble than letting them have their very own plants to love.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2007
10:58 AM

Post #3414993

Ladybugs, ladybugs, ladybugs!! We release ladybugs first thing in the spring, then about 6 weeks later and they devour those little pests.

Stephanie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America