Photo by Melody

Sustainable Alternatives: Cross Post: Cordless Rechargeable Mulching Mowers?

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 10, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #3294068

While this may not fit the definition of "sustainable," I will risk posting this here anyway:

My gas-powered mulching mower is just about ready to give up the ghost... We now have a small area of turf to cut and I'm not interested in another gas-powered lawn mower. I want something electric and preferably cordless. I *absolutely do not* want a mechanical push mower.

Can you give me your reviews on (battery-powered) Cordless Rechargeable Mulching Mowers? I've seen a few advertisements in my gardening magazines, but I won't purchase anything until I find one that comes highly recommended.
spot8907
Ida, MI

March 18, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #3294192

This is a good post. My mom has a tiny suburban yard that would be perfect for one of the new electric models and it would be much easier for her to use the electric so when her gas mower goes I wanted to get her an electric model. I know the technology in this area has greatly improved so that a cordless mower is now a very viable option for a small lawn. So I will be watching this thread with interest also. Anybody out there have one?
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3295910

My daughter has a Black & Decker mower with rechargeable batteries. This will be the third year of using the mower on her quarter acre yard. She has had no problems and likes the mower. She purchased an extra battery so that she always has one on charge. Neuton is another battery operated mower available from www.drpower.com Most of the mowers sell in the range of $300.00 to $350.00.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 6:21 PM
Prickle
Porter, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3296099

We have a Black & Decker cordless mower too.

We bought it last year in mid-Autumn so we didn't use it very much last year before the lawn went dormant and haven't used it yet this year, but the few times we did get to use it, it was great.

It cuts and mulches or you can bag too if you want clippings for a compost pile. Our lawn is not that large so we haven't had any problems with the battery running low in mid mow...etc. It seems to do everything that a gas driven mower would do in a small space with extra benefit of not having to worry about keeping gas around and no fumes.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 8:02 PM

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 8:03 PM
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3298311

I need something that can mulch leaves too. Are they any harder than grass? (Know nothing about mowers or mowing because I'd never mowed a lawn in my life until moving here, where I haven't had time to turn it all into gardens yet!)
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 19, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3298407

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepFeatures.aspx?Name=TrimmerMower2Step&Chap=TRMFeatures&SiteEntryMode=0&BC=0%3aHome%7c2%3aDRPowerHome%7c3%3aTrimmerMower2Step&LinkType=3#

This is the electric start/battery version of the dr trimmer. I have the 6.5 gas powered model and I would never go back to a regular blade again. If you want mulch, go over what you've cut. this will cut 3 and 4 ft tall grass. no problem.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3302086

wrightie, sounds like you have had a bad experience with a reel mower (mechanical push mower). I'd love to hear what is was that you didn't like about the mechanical one.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3302376

My experience with the reel mowers is that, even on the high end european types that I've seen, you still have to go back & forth over the same spot multiple times to get a clean cut. I cannot be bothered with that.

Also, and more importantly, we have multiple oak trees on a small lot, therefore it's important to me that it have a mulching / bagging capability. I have too many leaves in the autumn to be able to simply mulch then leave them on the lawn to decompose, so I end up dumping the bags on my compost bin.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #3302553

Our push mower had a grass collecting bag on it and only needed multiple passes if the blades were getting dull. I don't recall the manufacturer.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3305769

i have the black and decker to its great
spot8907
Ida, MI

March 21, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3305826

Do they come in a self propelled model? how heavy, hard are they to push? My mom still gets around good but pushing a regular gas mower is out for her. She can do it, her yard is ver small and she can walk all day shopping but considers pushing a mower too much work. Are the elect. ones lighter than the gas models. By the way, I'm not mean to my mom, LOL I am over there doing things all the time but she lives about 45 min. away and its impossible for me to go up there and cut her lawn all the time. She has a self propelled gas mower that works well for her but seeing as her yard is so small I figured she would be a good candidate for an elect. when her gas model goes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America