Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Shrub questions

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GumbootGal
Fernie
Canada

March 19, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3300234

Hi. I am in Canada and still have a foot of snow in some parts of my yard. I found on this site I will have to re-register for outdoor plants, but maybe some one can help me. I moved into this place last fall and did see the roses and lilac bush in the prior spring as my boyfriend ownes this yard. I live here now and want to help these poor things. The rose bushes had pretty thick pink flowers not like a bouquet you but in the store just bud like but full open flowers. I know they could produce more and be fuller..whayt do I do to get these. It is pretty early as we have NO green anything yet, still goes below 0 at night, but I am jumping the gumn and want to know if I should cut them right down, or trim them? Also a HUGE lilac bush with TONS of suckers. I do work in the forest industry with Trees and know suckers take away from the main tree, does this also go for lilacs? I have pictures but can not post them all. Please mail me if you think you can help and I will send the sad sorry pictures to you. Oh I have not raked or touched then yet so don't be too disgusted. I want them to be BEAUTIFUL!! HELP!! Oh yah the dog pee'd on them all winter I am sure...!!! ??? well there was 5 feet of snow around them so I do not know if they got damaged. crobertson74@hotmail.com with roses in the subject..Thanks!

Thumbnail by GumbootGal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GhostNurse
Oshkosh, WI

March 31, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #3341799

Gumbootgal,
If I was you I would go to pallensmith.com he is a gardening guru that has a lot of shows on PBS. On his sight you may be able to find so good suggestions for you situation with the lilacs and roses.
CTMGGardener
Waterbury, CT

April 1, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3343243

My mother has a Syringa vulgaris (plain old lilac). Two years ago I dug up all the suckers. It wasn't too horrible to do. In the 40 years she had it the suckers never produced flowers. The few main trunks were left, they always flowered. I put down weed block and mulched as the suckers do come back. Looks a lot better now. I don't think the newer varieties sucker like the old one so you can replace it and not have this problem. But don't worry about killing it by removing the suckers.

As far as the roses, you should look on the web or in a book on pruning them. I cut out the spindley canes, dead canes, and any canes that cross each other and would rub. On the remaining canes I look to where the new branch buds could form and cut down to above the ones that would grow away from the center of the plant. I've been very brutal cutting my roses and haven't had a problem. The only time I've lost a rose is if I dug one up and planted a new one in it's place. I remember Christopher Lloyd wrote as to why this happens, but I can't remember. I'm sure there's great websites that can illustrate rose pruning for you.

J

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America