Anchorage for a look.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have been working up here in Anchorage for the last 2 weeks and had a day off so I could see some sites. I drove north out of town and went up towards Denali. I was still 250 miles at my closest photo but what a spectacular mountain.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is the look of the tundra with its little spruce and lots of birch. No evidence of bug trouble up here.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This shot is at the top of Cook inlet and show only a small view of the mountains all around.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

These are the peaks of the range near Wasilla. Nice view out your hospital room Eh?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is what the Idiarod has to climb over at a place called Rainy pass off to the left. They started the race when I got here and the vet I was filling in for was up managing all of the many Vets along the frozen trail. Very cold this year. We have had many nights this last week at -25 F.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is what the Idiarod has to climb over at a place called Rainy pass off to the right of this mountain. They started the race when I got here and the vet I was filling in for was up managing all of the many Vets along the frozen trail. Very cold this year. We have had many nights this last week at -25 F.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

One thing you have lots of up here is ice fishing, mushing also a big deal up here. This is looking south to a piece of the Alaska range towards Bristol Bay.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

More of Alaska range near Wasilla.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Looking over the tundra to the east back towards Anchorage over cook inlet. These are the Chugach mountains.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a close up of the Chugach range from downtown Anchorage. Flattop Mt at sunset.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Downtown Anchorage looking over cook inlet with the ice floes coming and going with each tidal flow. Alaska Range in the distance. That is where the Aleutian Islands start.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Fire Island greets all visitors to Anchorage a short distance off shore in Cook inlet.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Of course there are other greeters who are all over this big city. This was foggy cause it was -30 this morning I went out to start my car and I left my camera in it. This cow moose was eating a tree over the roof of my car.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

To end the series you just have to see Denali once more. This at about 300 miles away.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Great pics!! Sounds like you are having fun too!!

WOW Soferdig
Such beauty . What a fabulous holiday destination .
Wouldn’t want to live there though .
What is mushing ? Is it like rubbing your frozen noses together ?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

It's dog sledding, like the eskimos used for their transportation(guess I should say 'use', along with skimobiles). Sofer, any idea if they still have the "bar" there at Fire Island? It's a huge boulder in the middle of the channel that ships can only pass over at peak high tide. When I sailed on the TOTE ships, we would only clear by about 3'- a very tense moment. Thanks for all the pics, and for me, memories.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

There is no Bar there Vadap. Sober up dude. LOL I only fly over it and have not seen any concerns other than the tidal rips are dramatic between the island and Anchorage. (shallow water) But I did do 'Mooses Tooth' microbrewry and the Prince William Stout was wonderful! Tonight is my last night here and I have to work. Bummer. I need party time up here. I did do 'Humpies' also on my day off. Good sports bar to watch 'March Madness' but my team lost in 2nd round.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL If the 'tidal rips' are still there, then so is the boulder. It was always a bit tricky steering the ship over that thing, and being so concerned with going over at just the right place. Chilicoot Charlies. I saw that about MSU, and was thinking of you. My Aggies are still alive! Praying to get past Memphis.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

all i can say is "burrrr!" thanks for sharing all those photos and info. denali sure is impressive.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

vadap now I have a team to get excited about. GO AGGIES! I wish MSU didn't have to hit the NC dudes so soon in the tourney.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i lived there for a year if you want bugs wait till the summer the Mosquitos will carry you off

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes I know but do they have tent catapillers? I forget their name.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Aggies lost by 1 point to Memphis. Oh well, never was into b-ball. Heck with skeeters, those black flies are horrofic! I still have a scar on my hand where one bit me! I always tell people, the best time to go to Alaska is late April-May, and mid Sept-early October. Miss the bugs, and the tourists.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am off to Fairbanks April 26 thru May 24th for a month in the eternal sun. Looking forward to it. Though I plan on some skeeters.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

And black flies, and tourists! Yuk!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You may keep the skeeters. As long as they aren't around me I'm happy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.