Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sustainable Alternatives: Have you been inspired?

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 11, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spot8907
Ida, MI

March 20, 2007
9:28 AM

Post #3301164

Just wondering if anyone has been inspired to try something on this forum, even if it is not something specificly mentioned but reading others posts has encourafged you to dive into something you have been considering. I noticed some talk about cf lightbulbs in one of the threads and while I have a few it inspired me to get more. Also it has given me determination to carry out my rain catchment plans and even expand them. Anyone else been inspired? Making any plans?
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 20, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #3302107

Inspired enough to keep reading...I haven't yet seen anything practical enough...except the light bulbs...for me to try up here. I recycle, and gave up the old truck for a newer gas saving car, turn off lights in rooms I don't use or when I'm not in them...still, learning every day...
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #3302145

The power saving light bulbs kind of turned me off [pun] initially as I had to get one that fluttered a bit and didn't want that problem.

Many of the helpful ideas are still on the shelf here. Perhaps if something was to be replaced, it would be more practical at that time.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 20, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #3302220

exactly. having just spent 10,000 on a new super efficient boiler, and oil tank, I can't see me ripping it out anytime soon. There is wood, but is wood really a sustainable alternative? and there isn't an insurance company out there anymore that will insure a house with wood heat.
I'm in the country so not dependant on town water, my well is surrounded by artesian wells so it is never an issue of a water shortage, and I do use rain barrels. I have a septic system, so grey water is not an issue either.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3302589

Lots here I want to implement. My To-Do list is guided by available money and winter utility prices don't leave me much to work with.
biscuitz5
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #3303702

For me, I think this will be a valuable resource in the future- when it comes time to replace the furnace, or the water heater, or whatever, asking for recommendations/warnings from people here will be good.

Just reading posts, even if not immediately relevant (and given my lifestyle and budget, some will never be relevant!) keeps me in a "green" frame of mind, and that's good!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #3303745

Don't think that it takes 'big things' or new appliances to make a difference. There are plenty of small things that, when added up, make a difference. From cutting / eliminating the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, to changing to cf bulbs, to trying to drive less, grow more of your own food, composting, etc. There are lots of things. Try to buy from local growers who use organic methods. Turn down your thermostat in the winter, turn it up in the Summer. Use a fan instead of the AC. Use rain barrels. Don't over-water. Choose drought resistant plants. Use polymer crystals. Use landscape to help with heating / cooling. I can go on and on. Lots of little things are just as good as one or two big things. That's probably the most important thing people can learn from this forum.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #3303783

The discussions have made me feel good about what I ALREADY do, which can be a rare feeling when you're surrounded by armed pyromaniacs who never saw an organic substance they didn't want to obliterate.

And since I'm ruminating on turning one end of my 60-foot garage into a studio, I'll be able to implement some of the ideas other DGers have fleshed out. Just trying to figure out which make sense in this instance.

I just really, really wish solar prices would come down.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #3303823

I wasn't inspired by this site to do this, but it is giving me ideas I may be able to use in the future. For some time now I have been shredding most of the paper we would normally throw away and using it for compost, mulch, or in the worm bins. All food scraps (not meat) gets fed to the rabbits and worms, or thrown in the compost pile. We are now heating with wood, and more careful with the electric we use. When we have the money to put in a new furnace it will probably be an outdoor wood burner. I have been following the thread about tankless water heaters, am also looking into wind power, so would appreciate any advice.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3303839

I'm very interested in several subjects discussed here. I will probably go tankless when my water heater dies. I installed them when I built this house in 1985. They were practically unheard of at that time in this country and I had to order from the manufacturer. Something killed my elements repeatedly. After replacing the elements 2 and 3 times, I reworked my plumbing and put a conventional water heater in the garage with a mile long run to everything. I believe they are much improved and worth another try.

I'm needing a new roof as soon as I can scratch up some funds. I have 4 light tubes and 2 skylights to install at that time. I'm an empty nester and can't get enough light in the winter. I can now use most of my house as a greenhouse of sorts. I enjoy a lot of solar gain warmth in the winter and have no sun in the interior during the warm months. I am very interested in solar hot water heat and will try to come up with a plan before the roof job. My funace is on its' last leg and the heat pump just doesn't do the whole job.

I've always been interested in composting toilets since I heard an expert on the Today Show back in the late 70's. I have a septic system. My house is on a slab with no basement so I'm not sure how I could ever do it.

I've been using florescents forever, growing and preserving food, living well but fairly frugally. I should just say that I am interested in most everything on this forum. I do have financial constraints but worse than that is that I'm handicapped now. Those are two biggies that will change one's perspective. Everything has to be rethougt to balance wants and needs with can dos, should dos and have tos. But that's what living green is all about anyway for everyone.
biscuitz5
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3303843

victor and summer- Exactly! There are so many low cost or no cost things to do, it is good to be reminded of them, and good to think how many I already do.

About 2 years ago when I moved I got rid of much stuff, and that led to rethinking "stuff," and why I have it, where it comes from, and where it goes (and why does so much of it come packaged in plastic!!!). So I try not to acquire so much, and have become more dedicated to recycling and freecycling, I have a compost pile, I do other small things. But staying concious of it does take effort at first and it's good to have a forum like this to get ideas and keep motivated.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3303872

Good reflections, Twiggy. That's what we all need.

Some newer composting toilets are so self-contained that all they need is a slab for support.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America