Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: soil testers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lisaoliver
Foristell, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2007
6:27 AM

Post #3304312

I saw a soil tester that you just stick in the ground like a thermometer, has anyone ever used this? Does it really work? What about the home test kit that looks like a mini chemestry set? How do I test my soil without sending it to an extention center? Thank-you!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2007
9:53 AM

Post #3304754

Most of the testers I've seen that you stick in the ground will only measure moisture and pH (and I'm not convinced how accurate the pH measurements are for the cheaper ones). If there are ones out there that claim to measure N/P/K or other things I'm not sure I would trust them. If you're good at following directions and want to get a decent gut feel on what's in your garden, I think the test kits are fine, just make sure you test soil samples from several places in your garden. Sending it out for a lab test will be more accurate, but you could start with the kit and see what you find out, then decide if it's worth sending it out for testing.
lisaoliver
Foristell, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2007
10:02 AM

Post #3304775

thank-you. The reason I don't want to send it out is because I have amended the soil in different parts of my yard so I know they would test differently. Also I read that differnet veggies and flowers have different requirements, so I'd like to know what I need to add to their soil. Am I over thinking this, does it really matter that much? Thanks again.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #3304816

Personally, I don't think you need to test unless you've been having problems growing the things you want to grow. If you've amended your soil so that it's nice and rich then most flowers and veggies would do just fine there, and you can buy fertilizers that were designed for flowers and ones for veggies, so if you use those in the appropriate areas of the garden then you should be fine. I doubt if your soil would have such high (or low) levels of the nutrients that you would want to do something other than use normal type of fertilizers. Knowing your soil pH can be helpful if you want to grow things that need high or low pH soil to do well, but the majority of plants will grow in a range of pH's.
lisaoliver
Foristell, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #3305334

Thanks, that answers my question.
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #3310193

I agree with Ecrane. I wasted money trying both the probe kind and the self test kit and neither one worked for me. Then I paid to have the extension service test it and they told me what I pretty much had guessed that it was too acidic (it's in a pine/oak forest) and that it needed fertilizer...

I amended it extensively with composted manure and organic material and I've not had it tested again but everything seems to be growing well there now.

Jeff
lisaoliver
Foristell, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2007
5:52 AM

Post #3310934

thank-you Jeff, it is always nice to have reassurance. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America