Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

My "Yurtio"

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

One of my first posts when I joined DG was in this "Show us your studio" thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/676510/ that zenpotter started.

I posted a picture of my still-in-progress "Yurtio"----my pottery studio in the round, designed (loosely) like a Mongolian yurt, or a Navajo hogan. Since then I've posted a few other pix on a couple of other forums, and a few people have asked me for more details.

The structure is 16 feet in diameter. The roof is made of triple-wall, bronze-tinted polycarbonate greenhouse material cut into 16 sections. The outside walls are exterior paneling, painted to match our house. The next layer is 1-1/2 inch polystyrene foam insulation, and the interior walls are 1/8-inch masonite. The cupola on top, which fills the center "smoke hole" is a 24-inch wind turbine that I painted with copper Rustoleum, and which we expect to do a great job of sucking hot air out in the summer. There's also a ceiling fan inside, as well as a nice propane heater that doubles as a small table.

There are two single-tube fluorescent light fixtures on half of the roof support beams, as well as lights on the ceiling fan. With the translucent roof, I expect the structure is visible at night from the San Jose Ariport flight approach path, which we are directly under. Yet to be confirmed.....

Copper gutters over the front deck, rain chains, and regular gutters around the rest of the structure were my big Christmas present. Plan is to paint the regular gutters with copper Rustoleum.

The doors were freecycled from a client, who replaced them because they were badly water-damaged. I treated them with home-made "stop-rot", then we routed out the really bad parts & replaced them with plywood & fill, and rolled (to date) 5 coats of exterior enamel on them. They're not quite done yet..... They form a very cool "bay window" onto the little front deck. All the doors open---two for getting large stuff in and out, the third just for ventilation.

The floor, which I just finished, is commercial vinyl tile, with all the wonky edge pieces cut by DH on his bandsaw. Last weekend I rented a buffer and scrubbed it all down to get the remaining adhesive off, then sealed/waxed it with 8 coats of various stuff. It shines like a Safeway floor, which was my ultimate goal.

I expect to be fully set up by "Mudder's Day" (for those of us who are potters, it's spelled differently than for the rest of you) and spend the entire day mucking about!

After that, maybe I can get back to gardening.......~~

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Interior view

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Interior ceiling:

Thumbnail by imapigeon
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

That looks neat!! Especially love the front door area.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for starting this thread! I've been so anxious to see the details. Love the ceiling and front doors. It's obvious you and DH have put a lot of thought and effort into this project. Hope you will share lots more!

Debra

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Wow, I have always wanted a dome, the yurtio looks as good. It is really impressive. Will love to see the inside when it is in use.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks wonderful, and so well thought out. I wish I had you to bounce ideas off when I was building my studio.
This forum has been sleeping for a while, thanks for waking us up.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I am glad to see that I am not the only morning person here.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow . . . this looks great . . . I can only imagine how much time went into this project.

Tip'n my hat to a job well done!!! :)

Thanks for share'n
GD

Thanks, everyone---DH was pretty enthusiastic about this post----it surprised me! He's VERY talented, creative, and resourceful. Hates it when I get a new Sunset mag and get that look on my face (you ladies know the one I mean) and say "Honey? Ya know......" Last night as we were sitting in the yurt enjoying some music and an adult beverage, I said "Honey? Ya know....I really like this "round" theme we've got going, and we need to replace the falling-down scaffolding that my porcelainberry vine is growing on, and I've gotten some GREAT ideas from the folks on DG....." So the seed is planted for the next round structure!!

The bay window was not in the original design---DH brainstormed it when we came home in sticker shock from Home Depot after looking at straight French doors, and he figured we could get old single doors from somewhere and put them together. As it turned out, these were just laying around waiting for someone to revive them. Gave me about an extra 8 sq ft of floor space, plus follows the curve more closely.

Hopefully the doorways will get trimmed out this weekend so I can sand and paint. Having this thread waiting for me to post more pix should help keep me on task!~~~

Beaumont, TX

imapigeon it's beautiful! What a cool building. I know I saw it from a distance in another thread but I can't find that thread now. It was some thread in the recent posts I clicked on and you showed a pic of it. Maybe in a pond thread? I can't find it now and I meant to say something then but got distracted. I could see the rain chain in the pic and the roof.Please post more pics of the outside so I can admire it again.

Oh, well, if you insist! I'm painting tomorrow (some interior trim was installed today, and I filled and sanded) so I'll post pix tomorrow evening. Plus the tarp that was protecting the front deck is down, so it looks a LOT better from the distance shot you want to see!!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Janet, how is your project coming along? I stayed so busy this weekend that my DG friends got neglected. Did you make that Home Depot run? Find the supplies needed? Can't wait to see what's new with you!

Debra

MUCH progress was made. I'll be posting pix of PAINTED interior tomorrow!!!
(I have a dinner out tonite right after work, & will have to neglect all my "virtual" buddies----sorry.....)

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Awww...boo hoo.... and we were hoping you could come out and play......

Ok, we will allow you to have a real life. Enjoy your dinner!

Beaumont, TX

Anxiously awaitin' !

Dinner was early, so here we go. Walls, which were plain brown Masonite yesterday morning are now (TADA) painted with 2+ coats of hi-gloss exterior enamel----they look white, but it's actually an ice-grey called "Silver Drop" which I think looks better with the vinyl tile than any of the whites did. Amazing how much bigger the space feels now! Should be really easy to clean, too.
Here's a flash shot from outside:

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Here's a shot with no flash, which shows the effect of the inside lites thru the roof, the sconces and the Ikea "ice cube" lites DH is working on for the pathway. It's MIGHTY handy to have an electrician around the house!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Also put bendy plastic/foam molding around the base of the inside, and painted the first coat of turquoise on all the nice trimwork DH did around the inside of the bay. Wish I'd had another day to get that finished, but I should be able to get it done next weekend.

Thumbnail by imapigeon

One more shot:
We took the winter cover out of the inside of the "tonoo" or crown hole because it was getting mighty warm yesterday. The wind turbine sucked air from the open vents under the roof edges, and it was cooled off in minutes. Will be interesting to see how it does when it's 107 in the shade!
Anyway, here's a night shot of the roof, looking up the throat of the tonoo. The ceiling fan is suspended from the compression ring. (It was $10 on the giveaway table at Home Depot a couple of years ago---it was missing a light globe. Don't you LOVE those kind of bargains?)

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! Now THAT is one cool place to work on "stuff". You are very lucky, not only to be married to an electrician, but to one that actually does work on your OWN house.

I am married to a carpenter, but yet my kitchen remodel remains in his mind and not a completed job.

Can you show us some of your pottery? Or have you posted it elsewhere and I just missed it?

Janet

Sure!
Here's a link to my current tile projects (let me see if I can remember how I was able to make this work...). Take the quotes off & paste the URL, and it should work.
"http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jwenholz@verizon.net/album/576460762310639098"
Mostly I do bowls and planters when I throw, because it's what I like to do. You're right---I should pull together an album or a composite. Here's one of my more recent planters:

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That's beautiful! I love pottery planters. When I shop I always look for them. Amazing how many these days don't have holes for drainage.

Some of my favorite soup bowls are pottery. I found 3 hand made pottery bowls at Goodwill. I love them. I am always looking for more of them.

I went to your photo album. Beautiful work!! Love that fountain!!! The steps are awesome too. Very creative work!

Thanks---I'm anxious to get the studio done so I can get back to it!!!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Janet, I'm speechless. You and your husband are so talented and resourceful, too! The paint color was a good choice. I would imagine there are any number of trade magazines for atisans. You MUST submit your yurtio photos. Love the night time shot without the flash.

Debra

Progress! We've started to move my stuff in!
Rainy winter in the roofless tent was hard on my equipment & supplies; even with tarps over everything there's a lot of rust and water damage. But with sanding, time, and paint, I'll get it all fixed up again. Spent all weekend working on the ancient freezer I use for a damp box. After only 2 days of work and 6 coats of paint later, I think it looks pretty good!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Left side of door....

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Right side of door....

Thumbnail by imapigeon

And the damp box in its new home.
Shelves and worksurfaces are next on the agenda. Still shooting for Mother's Day!

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Looking Good! Amazing what a little elbow grease and some paint will do for an old appliance!

Janet

It is, isn't it? Although right now it's my elbows that need the "grease" LOL!!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

What progress! It's looking great. What is a damp box? Is that where you keep clay?

A damp box is where projects that are partially finished wait until they can be worked on, or where things that need to dry very slowly can be stored (works better than covering with plastic, and less likely to get pulled or knocked out of shape when they're soft).

I had stuff in there all winter that I started just before the roof ripped entirely out of the tent. I had taken impressions of a couple of nice big elephant ears, and extruded some pot feet from the new die that Bill made me. I got them cleaned last weekend, and now I'll have to wait to get enough pieces ready to make a kiln load. With both gas and electricity being so high now, there's no point in firing unless I can stuff the kiln completely full!

Lublin, WI

Aw man, this beats my kitchen table 100 fold!

I did clay work at the kitchen table for a while, and everyone complained about the mud in their food!~~

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It is looking very good. I am jealous your very own slab roller.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful studio. I love your vessels. The glaze and ribbon around the edge is really cool. Could you provide more details on the extruder ? Looks like it could be a big time Salad Shooter. lol

The slab roller was a BIG birthday present from DH (I helped pick it out....thank you, honey). I was originally using my manual extruder for tiles, and it works great, but I can only use about half of them because of the warping & twisting from the extruding process. I finally decided if I was gonna do tiles, I had to get a slab roller. It's worked really well. I use pieces of green sheetrock to dry them, and I get a much higher percentage of flat ones now.

The "salad shooter" (which my neighbor calls the "sausage stuffer") was a HUGE present for myself last year (thank you, profit-sharing from my company).

It's actually not JUST an extruder----it slices, it dices, and it will DEFINITELY put the cat out all night. It's a pug mill, and I figure it will keep me pottering for many extra years. I got it from Peter Pugger (stop laughing). It mixes and de-airs my clay, so all the hours and hours of hand-mixing and wedging I had to do are pretty much OVER. My favorite mix is half red stoneware and half porcelain, and most of the clay I have is still rework stuff from when I was in class---I brought home buckets of stuff the other students had tossed---so mixing is critical. I can buy extruder dies for the business end of it, but I'm still so thrilled with the fact that it spits out prepped clay that I don't even care. And I am still very happy with my manual extruder.

The pug mill was a serious investment in my health, and my wrists and elbows and back are not a bit sorry! Also it saves me a tremendous amount of time. I still do a little hand-wedging, but I used to set aside a whole day just to prep clay, and now I can spend that time working.

My original wheel was hand-built by DH using an ancient motor, and had a hand-crank to slow it down or speed it up. It worked really well, but without a foot control it was a nightmare to slow down in a hurry. So we opted for a Clay Boss, which I've been pretty happy with. It won't do really big stuff, but I'm not very good a throwing really big stuff, so it's not a problem!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow ! what a great set-up. If I take a pottery class this Spring I want to make another series of tiles. I can't throw worth a darn and the tiles can go in the garden.
Sure would like to see more of your stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.