Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: thinning foxglove from seed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 11, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prettyhortgirl
Somerville, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2007
12:37 PM

Post #3308634

this year I grew all my perennials from seed.

Foxglove, a teeny tiny seed, is easily seeded too thickly, and thinning seedling is my weakness. How long can I put this off for [they are about 1 cm tall right now]?

I know I will need to eventually to prevent them from shading e/o out, but if I put it off will their roots be better so theres less shock, or is it better to do soon, while the roots are less?

can I leave them in small clumps of two or maybe three this season to make them appear more full when planted into the garden?
LissyJ
Stansbury Park, UT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3332974

I have the hardest time thinning seedlings. I actually had that same thing happen to me a couple of years ago with my foxglove seedlings. I planted way too many seeds and had the hardest time "killing" the extra that I didn't need. I put too many plants in an area and I couldn't believe how much room these baby's need. They took over my flower garden because they got so big. I had to thin big plants just so I had room for other flowers I wanted to plant. I am in the process again of having to thin my foxglove seedlings and I am going to do it right this time. You need to just nip it in the bud and only save as many seedlings as you have room for. As soon as you have two true leaves I would transplant them into a larger pot until you can set them in your garden. If you plant three in a clump, you are going to have to thin them when they are a larger plant. foxgloves get really big. they are beautiful but too many will take up all the room you can use for other flowers you might be interested in. I took pictures of them. When I find them I will post them. good luck!!
LissyJ
Stansbury Park, UT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
2:15 PM

Post #3333042

Here is the pic of my foxgloves I planted. They did great but I had to thin bigger plants because they got bigger than I thought they would. Hope this helps make your thinning of your seedling easier. LOL Or it will make you want to keep everyone you have.

Thumbnail by LissyJ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LissyJ
Stansbury Park, UT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3333093

Here is a closeup of the different colors in the foxglove mix seeds I got from the local nursery.

Thumbnail by LissyJ

LissyJ
Stansbury Park, UT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #3333098

This color was my favorite in the mix!

Thumbnail by LissyJ

LissyJ
Stansbury Park, UT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
2:27 PM

Post #3333104

Here is the yellow foxglove. It was also very beautiful in my garden.

Thumbnail by LissyJ

Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #3333406

Beautiful foxgloves! I haven't started any indoors (no room) but I hope my wintersown ones look half as nice.

Joanne
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2007
3:07 PM

Post #3337132

I love foxgloves! yours are just gorgeous, Lissy!!
Great shots too!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2007
6:26 PM

Post #3337694

Very nice Lissy

Mine will be due to flower this year, and I have a few new ones to start.

I have had the solid fuzz of seedlings before with other flowers. How I thinned them out was when they were and inch high I removed about a 1/3 of them in random clumps and then when they were 3" high I took out another third. From there they got big enough to dig the remaining taller clupms out and seperate them by hand and thin.
LissyJ
Stansbury Park, UT
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3338197

bigcityal~ what a great idea. It works much better than my toothpick with a magnifying glass method I have been using. LOL I will have to try that one! I find the smaller the seed, the easier it is to be cursed with the fuzz.

Thanks to all the nice comments! I really love foxgloves too. They are one of my favorite.
prettyhortgirl
Somerville, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2007
5:09 PM

Post #3351749

well, my cat ended up errrrr knocking my peat pot tray over so ya, he thinned them for me by killing the ones that didnt survive the fall... GAH...

thanks kitty? after that i wanted to let him nibble on my [poisonous] hollyhock, but resisted ;)

are they biennial?

all the pics are lovely thanks :)
lanewalk
Lenoir, NC

April 10, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3377710

Hello,

I used to put the clump in water and they would float apart, then plannt them all.

The extras I would give to church fund raising yard sale and they would go into other gardens and raise money for the church as well.

When I was trying my hand at breeding African Violets, when they came into bloom I would donate them to church yard sale. If it wasn't right time, I would give the ones I didn't want to keep to the minister to take when visiting sick members or potential new members as gifts. The ones that weren't unique enough were still beautiful.

Also if there is a preschool nearby (one ajoins my land) they might like to have the extras for the children to experiment with growing them. Could create a future gardener.

Also, there are frequently friends who would enjoy having them in their gardens.

If you find it hard to eliminate them, you might want to try some of these ways of dealing with them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America