Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Buddleia in zone 4

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #3310228

I really want to grow some Butterfly Bushes. I have two new ones on order from Wayside that are supposedly hardy in zone 4-a purple one and a pink one. I would love to be able to grow some of the "regular" ones like Black Knight, but they aways die on me after the first year. Has anyone been successful overwintering them in zone 4? Did you do anything special for them (winter protection)? I would like to grow them in a garden that's fairly protected with an eastern exposure. It gets full morning sun and some shade in the afternoon.
Thanks!
Deb
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3310254

Hi Deb,
I have friends in Dassel who have had a buddleia for a number of years. One thing to remember, Buddleia is VERY late to break dormancy. Many years, their bush does not appear until the 2nd week of June, depending on how warm a spring we have. In zone 4a, Buddleia is treated much like a perennial, the shrub dies back to the ground each winter and sprouts new growth in the spring. This is okay since buddleia blooms on new wood. I would suggest that you mulch well AFTER the ground freezes, not before. You may need to try the plant in a few spots before you are successful.
Good luck,
Mike
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #3312222

Thanks Mike! I've grown it in CA before and it's like a weed out there. I will keep trying.
Deb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America