Rootone substitute?

Woodbourne, NY(Zone 5a)

I've heard about a rooting compound that can be made from common household products, but I can't remember what was in it. Now I could really use it.

Does anyone have the recipe?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Willow bark is used as a rooting stimulant. If you have a willow tree around (any type will do) .... cut a few stems and soak in water over night. To use it just dip your cuttings in the water.

Believe it or not, you can also dip your root cuttings in ground cinnamon in place of that powdery root cutting stuff. Don't laugh at me......it works and cheaper than buying. I use alot of cinnamon around here for my baking so always have it on hand which most people do.

Thanks Coco''''Always plenty of cinnamon too''

Woodbourne, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow! Great tips -- thanks! I do have a willow tree, and we just had to have some dead limbs cut, so there's plenty of bark around.

Sue, do you know if it can be any stage of willow bark -- new twigs, bark from a live but woody branch, bark from dead limbs ... ?

I'll try both willow tea and cinnamon by wetting my cuttings with willow tea before rolling in cinnamon. Two more questions -- how long do I bake it and at what temperature? ;)

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I never use a rooting hormone and have probably a 90% + success rate..
Larkie

Woodbourne, NY(Zone 5a)

Larkie -- you may just be a better gardener than I am. I've had several cuttings, that I really wanted to grow, just rot. So, I need the help.

Me also Paris. Need all the help I can get when it comes to starting things from seeds or taking cuttings and start. It's a good thing I don't have any rocks around here.....would probably kill them as well trying to start new ones...LOL
Paris...you bake at 350 until done.......hehe

Larkie....you are soooo good. Come to my house this fall and show me how it's done.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This a great link about making willow water http://www.heronswood.com/resources/marthastewart/roothormone.html It's the thin layer of green inner bark that contains the rooting hormone. You want to use new growth from the willow branches - the thin green twigs. I usually pour hot water over the twigs and let it steep over night. I read you can also make it in a bucket outside letting it steep in the sun and use it to water newly planted plants. I think I'll make some and try it on my brug that just doesn't want to put roots out.

I wonder if you could freeze it to use during the winter?

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I have read that icing sugar works as well

Princeton, NJ(Zone 6a)

Do not use sugar, it promotes bacterial growth and attracts insects. Cinnamon doesn't actually promote rooting, however it does have some antibacterial properties but I doubt enough to make a difference.

Park Hill, OK(Zone 5b)

I have used the willow bark powder bought from our health food store, and recommend it. I did see a difference.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Don't know if it works but my cousin who used to work at a nursery said they used baby powder. Brenda

San Clemente, CA(Zone 10a)

hi another tread said dip the end of the plant in honey the guy had been using honey for years he said it works great

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad to see this thread revived right now when we are all looking to save money. I was given the cinnamon info in this thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/719270/
Cinnamon and honey are probably similar as both are antibacterial and will keep the rooted cuttings from dying. I do believe the willow will work better for root stimulation, similar to Rootone.

For a cheap bloom fertilizer, try banana peels chopped up and added to the potting soil or laid on top of the soil will do well as they are high in potassium.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images