Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Has anyone grown Dracaena invista?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2007
11:28 AM

Post #3315278

Hi, all.

Any chance any of you expperienced folks have grown the garden "Spikes" from seed?

I'm finding very little onfo on line, and my friend gave me several in Feb., which I put in moist paper towels(inside zip lok bag). I have had them on top of the fridge(on the warm spot) since Feb. 23.
No sign of anything yet, unless my imagination is playing tricks on me-as in, sometimes I swear they look a little swollen?

Any ideas on how long for germination? I was already sure that they would not be outdoor ready by summer, as I know the greenhouses start them many months before they are sold to general public.

Any help would be appreciated, and as I have just discovered this forum, would like to become a frequant contributor, if I can help anyone else.

I imagine it's as I suspected, and this is a pretty new Forum. Hoorah! Long Overdue, IMHO

Sasha
jasmyne
Lindenwold, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3323097

Hi Sasha,

These are great accent plants. I germinated some Dracaena seeds not to long ago. I rub them lightly between 2 pieces of sand paper, (stratification, I think is the proper terminology)...then I soaked them in warm water, they germinating in about a day or two...I then planted them in some seed starting medium. I had 100% germination. I hope this helps.

Jasmyne
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3323652

Thanks so much!
I will pull them out of the paper towels and give this a try!! Duh. Why didn't I do that?!

I do it on several other seeds, but just never saw anywhere that this was an option.

I will let you know how it goes.
Again, thank you.
Sasha
jasmyne
Lindenwold, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #3323742

I am the same way sometimes, I know, I know but just need someone to verify that I am on the right path. Good luck and by all means let us know of your success.

Jasmyne

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America