Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daturas: I have never grown a datura

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 4, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3317146

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago just for fun. I put it outside on my front porch and forgot about it until I noticed that the baby is trying to bloom on me.
Do I just leave it out on the windy front porch where it was or bring it inside under gro-lights?? I have no earthly idea what I am doing..thanks
gail

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2007
10:17 AM

Post #3318108

Hi Betty,

What you have there is brugmansia. Brugs are called Angels trumpets and Datura, Devil's trumpet. That baby needs a bigger container or put in the ground somewhere. Brugs like morning sun and afternoon shade. They are also greedy guts when it comes to water and food. Since this is your first, let the flower bloom ( i love seeing brug flowers bigger than the plant itself, its so funny ), you'll ooohhh and ahhhh. After this bloom, cut off any buds you see until it gets established in it's new home. Flowering take a lot of the plants energy and you will get a healthier plant by allowing it to grow a bit before letting it flower.

X
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2007
10:42 AM

Post #3318183

Now, how much fun this it!!!!!! I will repot today!!! Yeah, I have always wanted brugsmansia but didn't know where to go to get them. For some reason we have so many tropicals at the nurseries here in south Texas...but no brugsmansias grown or brought in
Thank you soooooooooooo much!!!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3318263

Again, since this is your first, here is the Brugmansia/Datura Mantra

For those new to growing brugmansia/datura, please be aware that all parts of brugmansia/datura are poisonous. Roots, stems, leaves, flowers and seeds. They contain the drugs atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine in varying concentrations.

If you have small children or critters that like to sample plants or eat things off the floor, you must be extra vigilant about dropping seeds and keeping them away from the plants and make it a point to wash your hands after handling brugmansia/datura in any form.

If on the rare chance, you pets or kids get into it, it is very important for you to tell the vet/doctor that they ingested brugmansia/datura.
X
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2007
11:14 AM

Post #3318290

Yikes and thanks for the information...looks like the brugs will remain on the screened in front porch which does get wonderful east and south sun...I have grands who are babies and 2 pups I love!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America