Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How to get pollinators out of my grnhs w/out killing them

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sfd4304
Zebulon, NC

March 24, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3317179

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have always enjoyed gardening but have never had much time to do more that put in a few bulbs or do small scale things here and there. I am now a SAHM and am really enjoying doing more gardening. This year I got a small plastic greenhouse (365 square foot, just big enough for a few shelves and a work space). The last couple of days I have found several pollinators (carpenter bees, some small bees and a couple of wasps) inside my greenhouse. I did some research and found that the bees that are in there are not aggresive unless they are trapped/threatened. There isn't anything in the greenhouse for them to nest in that I can think of (no wood). I got them out and snapped the door closed the first day I found them. Then the next day I went out in the morning to open the door for ventilation (it's already in the mid-80's here) when I went back out in the afternoon the bees were back, as were the wasps. I don't want to get stung (I'm most worried about the wasps) by accidentally coming across a nest and I don't want my 2 yr old to get stung either. My husband stumbled into a yellow jacket nest while mowing the grass one year and he had an allergic reaction and had to go to the emergency room. It wasn't fun. So anyway why are they there (I don't even have any flowers in the grnhs yet) and more importantly how can I get them out without killing them. I am thrilled that I have so many pollinators in my yard, so I don't want to have to get rid of them permanently. Hope someone out there has some ideas. TIA, Sarah
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3319937

What's SAHM? Never heard that before... Anyway, I've noticed the same thing, Wasps, Bumblebees, Mason Bees coming into my storage building. I don't know for sure why they do this, but I have 2 ideas. 1) Water. It's been really dry here and I see them looking for whatever water they can get. 2) Wind shelter. I think this is most likely. This time of year they're looking for somewhere out of the wind to make a nest/establish themselves. They love eaves or something out of the wind where they have easy access. They get distraught and dangerous if you close them in.

I used to be in the 'spray chemicals on them and take care of it. Now I'm more apt to watch them and see if I can help them out. Because if you do, they'll end up helping you by pollinating or preying on bugs you don't want.

I know it's a Pita but put up some scrap lumber or something outside away from the greenhouse and people that they can shelter in. Keep the GH shut for a few warm days and they'll setup there instead I bet.

Jeff

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2007
8:12 AM

Post #3328239

Don't know if this would help your bee situation, but I read about putting up a wood block with holes drilled in it for bees to nest in. Someone posted it in a thread on another forum. The bees found it and somehow knew it was to be their new home. I've also seen the same thing being sold on gardening websites, but to me it looks like something you can make yourself easily. If I can find an example I'll post it. A bird bath might help with the water situation.

Jeff- SAHM = stay at home mom. :) I am not a mom of any kind, but I speak the language.

See if this link works:

http://www.superseeds.com/details.php?id=H693

If not, just go to superseeds.com and type in bee block to the search feature.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2007 8:14 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America