Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: Arbor with Wisteria

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 6, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

March 25, 2007
10:56 AM

Post #3318243

My sweet dad built me a beautiful Pergola over my patio. My initial idea was to plant wisteria vine to grow over it for shade. It is a strong structure so should handle the wisteria.
My problem is I have read up on Wisteria, and found out the whole plant is very poisenous. Specially the seed pods from the flowers.
I have a darling little puppy, would hate for her to eat a seed and be poisened. Now I worry maybe I should choose another vine???

This message was edited Apr 4, 2007 7:51 PM
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #3344806

wisteria vine grows wild around here. In a few instances it gives kudzu a run for it's money. The wild vines have started blossoming this week and already I have seen large trees appear to be blooming purple they are so covered with wisteria. All that said to simply say---with vines, blossoms and the resulting seed pods an annual event I have yet to hear of a pet (or child for that matter) even being sick from the material. I am sure it could happen but probably won't.

BTW if you do use it be careful. I have spent 2 years and a lot of money trying to stop it from coming onto my property from next door. I'm losing the war!!

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

April 2, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3349205

Wow didn't know it grew wild! I think its a beautiful plant. Good to hear no problems with poisening little ones.
Does the foliage continue to look good after blooms?
Do you have to prune them hard to keep them looking nice?
Will it be ugly in winter? Well you are in a different zone so probly don't have as hard as winters?
So all in all, would you recommend it?
Thanks so much for the info :)
allmuxedup
Glendale, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 3, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3349814

Wisteria is beautiful on a Pergola (which is what I think you have). I have it on a wall in my yard. I never prune it. I just let it go! I have grapes growning on my Pavilion. I love to just reach out & pick Them!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2007
9:46 AM

Post #3350341

I think the pruning depends on which wisteria you get--if you get one of the nice native wisterias then you probably don't have to prune it as much, but if you get one of the aggressive wisterias like W. sinensis then you'll be constantly chopping to keep it under control.

As far as looks--the foliage is nice once the flowers are gone, but I'm personally not a huge fan of the look of the big seedpods that form. And it's deciduous, not sure if that qualifies as "ugly in winter" in your book or not. But I don't think there are too many flowering vines that will grow in your zone that aren't deciduous.
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

April 4, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3356355

Yep its a Pergola... not an arbor. Looks almost exactly like the posted picture. I wasn't sure, just saw a picture and said this is what I want!
I have seen the grapes on the pergolas and thought about maybe doing that.
Thanks so much for the info.

Our winters so cold sure it will die down and look "ugly" but worth it to see it come back to life.

Thumbnail by flowerprincess

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3375481

Planted this wisteria some 40 years ago. 12 years ago decided to build deck and hot tub (now gone). Had two peaked arbors built and let the wisteria go. Oh my gosh. The flowers are beautiful and the fragrance is light and soothing. Sorry it only blooms for about 10-14 days. The leaves provide a deep shade which is much needed in north central Texas for at least 7 months of the year of 90-100 degree days. I like that it is decidious because then we have radiant heat from the sun when we have the other 5 months of bone chilling cold...no spring or fall here...summer then winter.

Thumbnail by LouC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America