Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

March 25, 2007
1:13 PM

Post #3318611

I planted some tulip bulbs last fall that I bought at the local home & garden store, but they've yet to show any growth (not even a little bit of green popping out of the ground). I know that it's not too early for them to come up because I have a ton of others around the yard that are close to flowering. Any ideas why those that I planted haven't come up?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2007
1:43 PM

Post #3318693

There are a couple possibilities: 1) planted too deep, 2) somebody ate them (many critters think bulbs are really yummy!), 3) bad bulbs, or 4) they will come up later...are your other bulbs that are coming up tulips? If so then it's probably one of the first 3 possibilities, but if the stuff that's come up is other types of plants, it could be that tulips bloom a little later in the season so they'll be along in a few weeks.
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

March 25, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #3319760

Hmmmmmmmmm, we do have a horrible mole that's made himself at home. Also, after I looked this afternoon, I saw that what I thought were tulips about to bloom are actually daisies. So it could be any of the three. Hopefully they are just blooming later. Thanks!
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

March 25, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3319874

Correction: I have daffodils coming up, not daisies! (I'm REALLY new at this stuff!)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3319954

I think tulips come up a little later in the season than daffodils do (although I don't grow either one so I could be wrong!)
Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #3322987

yep, daffodils are usually first, them tulips can come while the daffys are in blooms (I have both blooming right now)

were they nice-sized bulbs? Tulip bulbs should be good sized.
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

March 26, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3323678

I'm not quite sure how big the bulbs were, but I wouldn't know what to compare them too. I just had a small area that needed something other than dirt for the spring, so I bought one of the boxes at Lowe's last fall and stuck them there. I believe there were 10 to 12 bulbs in the box. I looked today and there is one coming up, so we'll see about the rest. I still wouldn't be surprised, after learning that critters like to eat them, if they were eaten by the mole. Any advice on how to get rid of him?
Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #3323954

Lowe's bulbs are usually decent quality; so I bet you are right on the money about the mole. I haven't had to deal with moles, just raccoons and skunks (they just have a big party and pop the kids soccer balls !)
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

March 27, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #3325646

I'd give 'em another week or so, it is a little early for tulips yet - but then again, we seem to be enjoying an unusually early spring!! I bought all my tulips at Lowes and they did great - I agree that it may be the mole - it could also be you bought a "late" variety, some tulip varieties come up early with the daffodils and some wait a week or two more.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America