Gnome Meltdown

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

WARNING...to love him wasn't enough...I "had" this beautiful gnome my daughter gave me
last summer, even sprayed him with acrylic to protect him from sun and rain. Then winter
came..This spring after all the snow was gone I went outside to check everything out and there,
was my beautiful gnome, reduced to a pile of grey matter with eyeballs. No more gnome!
I guess, if I ever get another one he will have to spend the winter with me, in the house.

Bev

Thumbnail by plantzoo
Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

How old is your daughter? You would hate to alarm her with the gnome corpse. The eyeballs are a little unsettling. Hope you get a new one.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

ooooohhhh GNOOOOOME!!!

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Now you'll have to get a gnu gnome !

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

orchid923,
RIGHT..but my gnu gnome will be concrete.
or maybe cast iron..
even plastic would have held up better!!
:

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

what was it made of?

Lebanon, OR

I put most of my outdoor art in the shed for weather unless it is cast iron or resin...and most concrete, have lost one thing in years this way.

D

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Bev,

I think I have the same kind of gnome you had. My friend, Rob, gave him to me. Actually, he put it on the bridge he made for me, but didn't tell me. So, when I went to look at my plants one morning, here was this gnome, just sitting there. I was like, "Um, where did that come from?" LOL! I picked him (the gnome) up the other day and his foot fell off! Then I noticed that he was cracked all the way through his body. I think he's sucking up moisture from the soil. I didn't know he wasn't weather-proof! He's super heavy. I hope my gnome doesn't meet the same fate as yours! I second the, "Ohhhh gnooooooome!" comment, imapigeon, ROTFL!!! Is some company out there making self-destructing gnomes?! And is it on purpose?? ;(

~Kris

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 8:28 AM

Thumbnail by IrisLover79
Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

sounds like they are made of some kind of plaster.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Why not give your gnome a little peg leg or peg foot or just the right size little rock to rest his stump on?

I used a bandaid for Petal's knee when it broke off. People think it's "cute" but the reason behind it is so we remove her bad leg and then her body for storage in winter.

Thumbnail by pirl
Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi guys,

Renatelynne, yeah, I think he is made of some kind of plaster. He's very heavy (I thought he was concrete, at first), but apparently really susceptible to moisture. Pirl, I would give him a peg leg, if I could, lol. But he's cracked all through his core so thoroughly, that I'm afraid he might crumble apart, if I pick him up again. Poor little guy, lol. Pirl, I'm afraid I don't understand about the bandaid on Petal's leg. Is it holding the leg on? Or is it just so you know which leg is the broken one?

Kristy... seems we may need to open a lawn ornament ER soon, lol. We need some spackle, STAT! LOL! ;P

The band-aid is just to let us know which is the broken leg - not a repair.

Now I have a goose (plastic) with his head broken off so I may use this dank day to attempt a creative repair. It's a bit high up for a necklace but I'll work on the problem.

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

A necklace, lol! Poor things, huh? Mr. Treefrog fell off the tree one time and shattered into a million pieces. I was so sad, cause I really liked that one. My dad actually found ALL the pieces (amazing!) and glued him back together. He's as good as new, now! Yea! ;D

~Kris

Thumbnail by IrisLover79

Mr. Treefrog looks perfect now. Humpty Dumpty experiences are generally not beneficial but your dad has talent.

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

LOL, yeah, I was really surprised he got him "back together again" and that he looked as good as new. As much as I love Mr. Treefrog, I thought he was a lost cause and told Dad to just throw him away. I think he felt bad, though, cause he was the one that accidentally knocked him down as he was pruning the tree. I was so happy to see him "resurrected," lol. =D

~Kris

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Pirl - How about a bandana for your goose's neck? At least to cover up any repair you might do! Samantha

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

okay, this is just me bein silly, but if yer gonna have a bandana, why not glue a little gun to its side, too, lol. Then you can have wild west, bankrobbin, geese, lol.

~Kris... not trying to be mean, Samantha, the bandana is a good idea. I'm just in a silly mood right now, lol.

I LOVE both ideas! Here I was going to look in my sewing box for some gold braiding and give him the name of Captain Goose but the bandana idea is grand and the gun is too good not to use.

He was sent to me as a gag gift but he's so useful when I take photos. I point his nose to where I planted so in the midst of a rainy day I can see what I've planted and the exact spot.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

irislover - What a mental picture! LOL!!! - How about boots, too? But, would they have to be WEBBED?!!! Samantha

While I'm still pondering JD (the duck) and his repair, what are you doing, Kris, about the gnome? I recall you were afraid to touch him, lest he turn into another meltdown but I'm curious as to what you've done........or not done.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

irislover - I LOVE that frog!! Wheeeeee!

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

LOL! I'm glad you guys liked my bankrobbin goose idea, lol. Samantha - webbed boots, that's hilarious, LOL!

pirl - I've just let him stay where he's at. I'm pretty sure if I move him, that he'll fall to pieces. He probably will, in time, no matter what I do. So I'm just trying to prolong his life by keeping my hands off of him, lol. Take pix of your goose, when you get him done!

kaperc - thanks, I love him, too, lol!

~Kris

You folks are something else. Now the duck's head has been reattached with Elmer's glue but it's such thin plastic that I had to give him a Hollywood surgeon's help with his neck so I used clear tape (as starlets seem to use to push things up to where they'll show better) and added a bandana but still have to find the pink gun I bought as a joke for DH years ago. Should he be wearing sunglasses as part of his disguise?

My DH and I were sitting outside when I remembered these stories about gnome meltdown and we were both laughing as we talked about peg legs, two eyes staring back, etc. It certainly does take our minds away from picking asparagus or tying up tomatoes. Thanks for all the laughs.

I have photos but just have to download them.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Sunglasses , no fake mustache and or beard....

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

fake moustache! Yes! That would be hilarious! I have some small cowboy hats somewhere, that would probably fit (I tried to put them on my real life parrot, lol). Hey Pirl, if you're interested, I'll send them to ya, LOL!

~Kris

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Sunglasses or a mask ala Zorro..

Now, where do I get duck sunglasses?

Thumbnail by pirl

And the final result....until I find the gun, moustache and sunglasses.

Thumbnail by pirl
Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Pretty good, pretty good. It's still begging for the moustache, gun, and hat, though, lol.

~Kristy

edited to say - I'm tempted to buy my own goose now, just to dress him up, lol.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2007 11:58 AM

Could I give him a Sharpie mustache? Or is that cheating?

Quoting:

edited to say - I'm tempted to buy my own goose now, just to dress him up, lol.

Me, too!

Where would the mustache go?

They do have their uses. Anyone who visits the garden and gawks at the goose is not someone I want in my garden so when it eliminates the riff-raff that's a good reason to have one.

"Riff-raff" being the elitists, not those who have fun with gardens.

We cross posted and now it's getting very funny. You're right, where would the mustache go unless it's a strap on one and I could strap it on his beak.

Or paste it on the end of his beak? :-)

Kris, I really want that frog - do you remember where it came from?

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi guys,

Pirl, if you can get a mustache from a costume shop (like Party City), it should have sticky stuff on the back. And they're only a couple bucks. You could stick it near the end of his beak, on top. As hilarious as that would look, though, it might not stay on long in the garden. Wind, water, rain, or birds making nests might rip it off, lol. So, a Sharpie mustache might be the way to go, lol. Can you imagine if a real goose should ever see yours up close? Boy would that confuse him! LOL!

Kaperc, I'm trying to remember, but I'm not completely sure where I got Mr. Treefrog. I think it was at Frank's Nursery, but they went out of business. ;( Sorry. I'll ask my parents and see if they can remember if it was from Frank's or not.

Later,
~Kris (contemplating getting a goose this weekend, lol.)

The "hair" for my scarecrow is always the first thing to go with the sun, wind and rain.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I had a garden angel and one of her wings fell off, so I snapped off the other one, now she is a fallen angel.

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

"now she is a fallen angel"
~groan~ ; - >

Check out these flamingos...
http://cgi.ebay.com/PINK-FLAMINGOS-Garden-Statue-Yard-Art-Lawn-Ornaments_W0QQitemZ330137840573QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Funny "fallen angel"! Wild flamingo outfits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images