Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Grass and Bamboo: Experience with pruning Carex comans?

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 4, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donn
Great South Bay, Lon, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3319282

I started 4 clumps of C. comans 'Bronze' from seed last year. Three were planted in the ground, and one was over-wintered in a 1-gallon nursery pot, buried in the top of the compost bin.

You can just see in the photo, the line of demarcation between the reddish-bronze color of the blades on the lower 2/3's, compared to the dry looking tan of the ends.

Darke speaks only to Carex in general. He says evergreen or semi-evergreen species are "best cut back on occasional years, to remove old or winter-dessicated foliage."

Greenlee says, of C. comans specifically; "When cutting back, leave 3-4" above the crown, as plants dislike a close shearing."

Leaving 3-4" above the crown will eliminate the tan dry-looking ends of the foliage, but my question is whether or not those trimmed blades will continue to grow, with their squared-off ends, or will they be overtaken by new foliage?

I'm starting several more plants this year, so I can afford to experiment. I'm thinking about cutting back the one potted plant, and leaving the 3 in-ground plants alone this year.

Any experience trimming Carex comans, in any color?

Thumbnail by donn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2007
9:08 AM

Post #3424868

Don,

I also have several carex that I planted last summer. I was hoping that someone would have an answer for you. The tricky thing is the color. It is harder to see the new growth. I was at the nursery yesterday, and I could feel the difference. The newer growth is flexible, compared with last year's harder growth. When I came home, I took a closer look at mine, and realized that I could actually see some green at the bottom. Most of the growth is still the stiff grass from last year.

I am hoping to post of picture of this later today. I will be cutting back all of last years growth to the area that is green. Crossing my fingers.
donn
Great South Bay, Lon, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3429845

pennefeather..I just trimmed the potted plant today. I left about 4" above the crown. I'm going to leave the in-ground plants alone this year, until I see what happens with the trimmed one.

Growing grasses seems to be one experiment after another.
dcgardens
Millington, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3566445

When trimming Carex varieties, you should trim right at the very first sign of Spring. Most Carex varieties that we have are cool season grasses which mean the bulk of their growth will happen during the early spring and late fall, or whenever the coolest parts of your growing season take place. Carex comans Bronze is definitely a cool season variety. I always suggest just running your fingers through the carex to clear out all the dead foliage. If you cut them back now, don't expect too much growth until Fall.

Jen
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2007
11:14 AM

Post #3594096

The toffee twist is growing nice and full this year.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America