Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

March 26, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3320871

I have many seedlings (dahlias, strawflowers, impatiens, and some herbs) that have been getting 16 hours of warm/cool flourescent lighting since they've germinated (about three weeks ago). They were transplanted to 20 oz plastic cups w/drain holes (from starting trays). Iy seems that their leaves are not a very dark green and very dull looking. The leaves are NOT yellow or wilted looking and the plants are very erect but they don't seem to me to look as healthy as they should. I'm wondering if they need a fertilizer boost or if it's from the heavy use of flourescents. (I used Schultz brand soils for seed-starting and transplanting, so I don't think it has to do with the quality of the soil. I'd like to fix the problem (if there is one). Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2007
10:01 AM

Post #3321417

Have you fertilized them at all? I generally start to fertilize once they get their first set of true leaves so if you haven't fertilized them yet that could be the problem. The other thing could be that they're too far away from the lights although that would often cause them to be leggy too and you don't mention whether that's the case or not.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America