Garden books, cook books

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Today, I may take my notebook and go to a good library branch to survey their gardening books. If they are older than three years, it is highly likely I can find them for sale on the web as used books. I have found one place where no postage is charged and they have many books starting at $3.48- that's the total investment! I will go to the library at the botanical gardens today and do the same thing. Of course, I don't NEED more books like that; but it is an economical indulgence.
I have noticed that my nearby used book store seems to over price both cookbooks and garden books.

The postage free book site is www.betterworld.com; they actually manage to donate money to literacy councils all over the country from their sales. It's a win/win situation all the way round.

North Augusta, ON

Hi Gloriag, that's a good price for cook books, I myself haven't bought a cook book since I discovered all the wonderful recipes available online....now, when I need a recipe I just go to my favourite sites and there's literally thousands at my fingertips.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

threegardens, You are exactly right! I realize the irony of what I am doing, but as a collector it's a hard habit to let go. I have only had the computer a few years and it has changed my life so much. Not only can I find a recipe for bread pudding on line, I can find more bread pudding recipes than I care to count. But the good old paper is not easy to give up. I have even heard the term "a paperless society." To me that's really scary. I know that about newspapers, but other things like magazines and books? Not ready for that. Technology is so great with computers and the like. This morning when I balanced my bank account over the phone (I won't put it on line,) for the first time a man's voice actually read the merchant for my checks and debits! Sometimes I would have to try to figure them out just from the amount.

North Augusta, ON

What does a balanced bank account look like again??? lol....I just use my debit card until it says I can't anymore, usually when I'm in the grocery store with 40 dollars in food in front of me.....lol...I just tell the checkout girl, try 35....hmmm....how bout 30??....hmmm.....let's try 25 and see if it works....lol

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

G

I get lots of cookbooks from the local second hand stores. They are from 10 to 50 cents. Most are hardbacks that barely have the binding broken in and many are Southern Living and such. I am not a big cook myself but my Mom collects cook books so they make great gifts for her. I look through them before giving them to her in case anything might strike my fancy. LOL

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Great thread, I'm a collector of books also!!! Last year I bribed a friend to help me move by giving her my cookbook collection. Now I'm into rebuilding it.

Judy

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have cookbooks I won't part with but my book collection is plant reference books and gardening books. Have tons and won't ever have enough. Yes with few exceptions, mine are all 2nd hand. Flea markets, garage sales, 2nd hand stores and an occasional library book sale have filled my shelves.
If I am wanting specific information or a recipe, I will search the internet but I like to take a book to the porch swing or to work or to.... can't do that with this behemoth computer. On the other hand, I access my bank accounts on line daily. Don't want any surprises from the bank! pod

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Kraft Foods will send you a beautifully illustrated
magazine, filled with lots of recipes, for FREE, if you

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/FoodandFamily/

I just got the Winter 2007 edition, and it's great.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Winter edition? When will you get the Spring book?

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

CajuninKy, who knows. I just signed up for this
about 3 weeks ago, and the site says that the
Spring edition is now ready.

I suspect you're a bit of wag, are ya ?
It really is a very nice magazine with loads of
illustrations and charts and helpful tips. Besides,
it's FREE.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

My downfall will come on April 13th when the downtown Richmond Public Library has its booksale. They don't fool around! besides a large number of tables stacked with books, they have library shelving (about ten aisles) with books stacked according to the dewey decimal system. Last year I found "An Island Garden" a classic worth hundreds if it is old. I gave this to a friend because the woman in the book reminded me of her. I will have to take a heavy tote to load up. I will be walking around making decisions, picking some up again and putting others back.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Gloriag, why don't you bring along one of those
small suitcases on wheels? Easier than lugging
around a tote, and I am green with envy here, LOL.
I can gladly give away many things, except for my books.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

That's a great idea! Then my arms won't ache and I can BUY more! thanks.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Mahnot

I wasn't trying to be a wizenheimer. I get that magazine myself and I got my Spring edition about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering why you were just getting the Winter book. But if you just signed up that is likely the reason. There are some really good ideas in those books. Nothing too complicated. I like that.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I've gotten the Spring Kraft one...it's actually got some I will use this time!

Also cheap place for books is your areas craigslist.com where people sell their used books. If you don't see what you want you can post a free ad to ask if anyone has ____ book.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, phooey, CajuninKy ! Have you got any idea of just
how hard it is to find a good wizenheimer these days ?
And here I was feeling really lucky ! Rats.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry I have disappointed you. It's a crushing experience to get one's hopes up only to have them dashed upon the rocks. But all is not lost. I do have a few wizenheimer traits. If I hone them diligently I may be able to attain "smart alec" status. One can dream. LOL

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Keeping my fingers crossed here :o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images