Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: how to bulk up leeks

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2007
9:55 AM

Post #3321402

I'm trying to grow leeks this year. They sprouted in cells just fine and a week or 2 ago I transplanted the 3"-long darlings into 6" pots. They're under grow lights 16 hrs/day, in a room that tends to be about 65 degrees. I check their water every day and they're not drying out, nor do I believe they're getting too much water. I've been using a weak Miracle-Gro solution to feed them about once a week. According to Burpee's book on vegetables (my bible), I'm to plant them outdoors after frost (2-4 weeks from now) when they're the thickness of a pencil. But they're still thread-like and don't seem to be growing in any dimension at all -- not longer, not wider. Can anyone help? Thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3323592

how many leeks in each 6 inch pot?
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2007
11:31 AM

Post #3328877

6 leeks in each 6" pot, but at present they all have plenty of room. Really -- buttonhole thread is thicker than these babies. 5 around the outside and one in the middle.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2007
12:12 PM

Post #3329040

Sounds like you are doing fine with them for now. Leeks are very slow growing and right now any growth being made will be mostly roots with very little top growth. I feed mine fish emulsion when young but when planted out they really love compost or well-aged manure. (Not sure you want the fragrance of fish emulsion in your house though!)

With young leeks, patience is a virtue.

Happy Growing!

Shoe

carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
10:19 AM

Post #3332212

Thanks for your help! I will be patient. I can endure fish emulsion in the house but I'm not sure the cat can. She's already utterly enamored of the bag of potting soil I have waiting for the tomatoes (t.b. transplanted from cells into pots this weekend). For fish emulsion she'd chew thru the door. Meanwhile, about 2 of the leeks per pot actually stood up yesterday, so they may be recovering from transplant shock at last.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #3332486

First time with anything is a learning experience. I have a couple annuals busting down my door already, to go outside, that I shouldn't have started yet!
Be careful not to get them too wet. With that much soil, they have a lot of reserve moisture.
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3333556

Actually not my very first time with leeks. I tried them over 20 years ago, but I sowed them in the ground alongside my potatoes. They sprang up and fell over and that was the end of that. I'm handling them much more gingerly this time.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America