Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daturas: Ready For Their Permanent Home

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 15, Views: 204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3322282

I'll be planting these guys into their permanent home by the weekend! I can't believe how fast they went from babies to this! They are Gordon's Picotee F-1 generation. Can't wait to see if the Picotee carried through.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3322471

They all look great, wish mine were that far along.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3455196

X;
I'm on the verse of losing my 1 gallon pot Datura. It's white, bloomed beautifully when I purchased it couple of weeks ago. I was uncertained where I could place this new find. So I've it sitting on a sunny spot. I first noticed some yellowing streaks on the flowers, then yellowish leaves with speckles. No active insects observed. Bacteria wilts? Fungal disease? Any suggestion?
Kim
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
1:52 PM

Post #3455343

can you post a picture?

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #3455748

Ok, will be back with pic. in a little while. Thanks.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3455830

I've moved the plant to a partial shade, then to a more shaded area in the garden. The affected leaves and flowers were removed. I mist the plant often try to "perk" it back up without success. There is no evedence of any yellow speckles on the entire plant. Just droopy leaves.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #3455894

I've never seed that before .. it might be a virus if you don't see any insects present. Is new growth looking normal? From what I can see it does. You might want to cut off all the old leaves that are curling.

Keep me informed about how things are going. Hopefully someone else in this forum might recognise the problem.

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #3455998

Ditto, I've considered remove all the wilted leaves, but then, I was more concern about depleting its revenue for photosenthesis. Anyone out there could help before I wack all the sad looking droopy leaves off my Datura?
Thank you X. I'll keep you posted.
Kim
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3456303

It has lots of new growth so taking off the affected leaves can't hurt it. Have you fed this plant yet?

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #3456785

No, I haven't fed it yet. Lack of nutrients, while it was in full bloom? I was afraid that would burn the roots if I were to transplant it any time soon.
Kim

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3456873

Just curious .. I don't think half strength food would hurt .. especially if you are taking off the leaves.

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3457259

Thank you, X. It looks even worse than when I took the pic. earlier. I think perhaps, the feeder roots were toasted in the hot sun in a black plastic pot. Temp. runs on the high 80's in small pot. I concluded that it got dehydrated beyond recovering. I plan on taking some leave, cut off all seed pods, and see if that would unload all ner energy to recover, last best effort.
Kim
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #3457360

Removing the seed pods certainly will help it.

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #3459530

I've success!!!
Last night, I went out and trimmed off several lower leaves, removed all flowers, and seed pods. Moved it to a more humid area of the garden (by the lake), and this early morning I went out there, mist the plant every so often while I tend my garden. Voila! Slowly but surely, it's showing sign of improvement. Thank you, X. seems like I'm not going to lose this Datura after all.
Kim
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3459571

Great! Datura are actually tough customers. They are after all weeds! lol.

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3460423

Teeheee, they don't call it Jimson's Weeds for nothing. lol. Wished I know more about Jimson. Perhaps he was one that first cultivate the weeds?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America