Ready For Their Permanent Home

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll be planting these guys into their permanent home by the weekend! I can't believe how fast they went from babies to this! They are Gordon's Picotee F-1 generation. Can't wait to see if the Picotee carried through.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

They all look great, wish mine were that far along.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

X;
I'm on the verse of losing my 1 gallon pot Datura. It's white, bloomed beautifully when I purchased it couple of weeks ago. I was uncertained where I could place this new find. So I've it sitting on a sunny spot. I first noticed some yellowing streaks on the flowers, then yellowish leaves with speckles. No active insects observed. Bacteria wilts? Fungal disease? Any suggestion?
Kim

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

can you post a picture?

X

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok, will be back with pic. in a little while. Thanks.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've moved the plant to a partial shade, then to a more shaded area in the garden. The affected leaves and flowers were removed. I mist the plant often try to "perk" it back up without success. There is no evedence of any yellow speckles on the entire plant. Just droopy leaves.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've never seed that before .. it might be a virus if you don't see any insects present. Is new growth looking normal? From what I can see it does. You might want to cut off all the old leaves that are curling.

Keep me informed about how things are going. Hopefully someone else in this forum might recognise the problem.

X

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ditto, I've considered remove all the wilted leaves, but then, I was more concern about depleting its revenue for photosenthesis. Anyone out there could help before I wack all the sad looking droopy leaves off my Datura?
Thank you X. I'll keep you posted.
Kim

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It has lots of new growth so taking off the affected leaves can't hurt it. Have you fed this plant yet?

X

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

No, I haven't fed it yet. Lack of nutrients, while it was in full bloom? I was afraid that would burn the roots if I were to transplant it any time soon.
Kim

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Just curious .. I don't think half strength food would hurt .. especially if you are taking off the leaves.

X

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you, X. It looks even worse than when I took the pic. earlier. I think perhaps, the feeder roots were toasted in the hot sun in a black plastic pot. Temp. runs on the high 80's in small pot. I concluded that it got dehydrated beyond recovering. I plan on taking some leave, cut off all seed pods, and see if that would unload all ner energy to recover, last best effort.
Kim

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Removing the seed pods certainly will help it.

X

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've success!!!
Last night, I went out and trimmed off several lower leaves, removed all flowers, and seed pods. Moved it to a more humid area of the garden (by the lake), and this early morning I went out there, mist the plant every so often while I tend my garden. Voila! Slowly but surely, it's showing sign of improvement. Thank you, X. seems like I'm not going to lose this Datura after all.
Kim

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Great! Datura are actually tough customers. They are after all weeds! lol.

X

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Teeheee, they don't call it Jimson's Weeds for nothing. lol. Wished I know more about Jimson. Perhaps he was one that first cultivate the weeds?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images