Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: roof overhang vs. gutters

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
janet91
San Antonio, TX

March 26, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3323635

Our house roof does not have an over hang, therefore our window frames are rotting. A carpenter said he could add an overhang to the house where the water runs off. Will gutters do the same job, keeping water from dripping on our windows? What is the best option? I'll appreciate your advice.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #3324248

Hi Janet in San Antonio! That's where I am to! To bad about your problem. We put up gutters and it's saved us a lot in damage. Not only will it keep the water from off your windows it won't create pit marks in your sidewalk overtime as the water keeps hitting it in one steady line and it won't wash out your plantings close to the house in a turrential downpour as we've been having lately! We bought the vinyl gutters from HD. It wasn't much money. Most of the money will be in the support brackets not so much for the spouts really. I've never heard of extending an overhang to the roof? But considering gutters are still beneficial to someone who's roof has an overhang I'd THINK that gutters would do more for you.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2007
9:49 AM

Post #3325086

I agree, I think even if you made an overhang you'd still need gutters.
janet91
San Antonio, TX

March 27, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #3326960

Thank you Tir_Na_Nog and ecrane3. Gutters do make sense. Our house was built in 1935, so you can imagine. I thought overhangs were just part of the roof. I do apprieciate your advice.Next project is windows our windows have the old fashion weights in them! They are nice but not energy saving. Thanks again.
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3341581

Yes, water must be routed away from the house (foundation). I am learning the hard way, with an old house sinking slightly on the corners.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America