Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

March 26, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #3323721

I plant in a greenhouse, I have a plant guide although someone forgot to list the cucumbers. I planted them last year, remember they grew pretty quickly.
Should I start the seedling already (zone 5) or to early?
rebecca101
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2007
9:56 AM

Post #3325110

Hi flowerprincess, here in Madison, WI (zone 5a) I start my cucumber seedlings indoors about May 1, then transplant outside around May 20. I'm not sure if your climate is exactly the same as ours - if it's warmer there you might be able to go a little earlier. They like it quite warm - about the same as tomatoes.

Cucumbers don't like to be transplanted though, so be sure to plant them in peat pots or newspaper pots. (You plant the entire container, which eventually decomposes, in order to avoid transplant shock).
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2007
12:17 PM

Post #3329060

flowerprincess, I start most cucurbits about 3 weeks before planting out. You may want to find out not just your last frost date but also have your ground ready for them as they prefer warm feet.

I've never had a problem transplanting them, as long as they have a good root system and the root ball isn't broken up they'll do fine.

By the way, what kind are you growing? (I'm the curious sort, ya know!)

Shoe
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

March 29, 2007
9:31 AM

Post #3332087

Live in Utah, so right now its snowing! I imagine weather in Wisconsin similar to ours. Usually can't plant till May 10 just to be safe.
I heard you can't transplant nasturtiums either. Was just getting ready to start them! I'll have to try the peat pots? Never used them before. I just have nursery pots.

I actually wasn't sure what cucumbers were good, I have "spacemaster" cucs. I think I'll wait a few weeks then start them.

Thanks Rebecca and Shoe!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #3332754

Spacemaster is a good one, I sell a lot of those at the market (both the plants and the fruit). Many people like them because they are great for growing in containers as well as in small gardens since they don't send out huge running vines like many cukes do.

Enjoy them!

Shoe.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America