Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: azaleas

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 28, Views: 282
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dianefrancesco
Spring, TX

March 27, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3326067

I had four bushes and we had a freeze in January, now it is Spring and two of my bushes look dead. Will they come back to life
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

March 28, 2007
1:43 PM

Post #3329288

I had a few azalea bushes when I lived in South Carolina a few years ago, and they always did fine without anything being done to them, even after we had ice storms one year. If I remember correctly, they always looked dead too until everything else started blooming (tress, etc.). I am now in Indiana, also have an azalea bush that looks very dead, but think it will be fine. However (and this is a BIG however), I am very new to all of this outdoor flower gardening, so I'm sure there are many many many more qualified advice givers than I! I just saw your post and thought maybe I could give you a glimmer of hope. Good Luck!
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
9:49 AM

Post #3332140

I have a lot of azaleas, some that were here when I moved in and some that I have added over 7 years. Some of them will bloom later than others, so look sad for a while. I would suggest that you give them a shot of food if you haven't already done so and then give them time. Azaleas appreciate a lot of water also. We have freezes every year and the azaleas don't seem to be affected by it at all.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3353064

P.S.

I just learned today that azaleas LOVE nitrogen, so throw your old COFFEE GRINDS out into their bed! Throw the filter in, too!
speckledpig
Satsuma, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3353067

Get coffee grounds free at starbucks. Most of them have a bucket by the door with them already bagged up.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2007
6:43 AM

Post #3353438

Diane,

Are your azalea the evergreen type?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2007
7:38 AM

Post #3353506

Yes, Dale, they are. I have started adding some of the "rebloomers" too. I don't have any pictures of this year, but these are from last year.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2007
7:39 AM

Post #3353508

And another...

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2007
7:40 AM

Post #3353509

I have more, but this will be the last one...

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2007
7:43 AM

Post #3353514

Oops, I'm embarrassed!! I was thinking "How nice. Dale remembered my name." Just now realized that the person starting this thread is a Diane also. I'm sorry.
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

April 12, 2007
10:28 PM

Post #3385009

Dale & Diane,

I have to say that while I LOVE looking at the shots you submit, they make me incredibly JEALOUS! I have seen the sun for only about 10 minutes the last few weeks; not a tiny splash of pretty color left at my house. Do either of you know if azaleas bloom a whole lot earlier in the south than they do in the midwest? I'm afraid I may not have blooms this year.

dianefrancesco: Any luck with yours yet? I'm looking for a glimmer of hope:).
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #3385468

Just logically speaking, I would think that ours bloom earlier than yours, as the ones in Florida bloom earlier than ours, etc. I'm not an expert on anything like that. The big freeze here has killed off a bunch of the azalea flowers, but they were getting past their peak anyway.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2007
9:57 AM

Post #3386134

atcmadchen--things generally will bloom earlier in warmer climates, so yours will probably always bloom later than ones in the South. But because of the late freeze that you had this year, it's possible that you won't get flowers this year.
kakezgarden
Marietta, GA

April 24, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #3426650

I am in atlanta and I just planted 4 small azaleas. I grew up in FL and miss the colorful flowers. most of my neighbors have lots of blooms and mine had some flowers when I planted them bt are looking kinda beat already. Any tricks to revive them. We did have a frost here after I planted them. I will try the coffee grinds. Any other suggestions?? I am truely a beginner.
Also wondering what would be a good companion as I have some empty space to fill in. Looking for some color and low maintenance if possible.
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2007
6:28 AM

Post #3428110

kakezgarden--You are pretty much past azalea season, so it just might be their natural cycle. Azaleas should be pruned right after they bloom so as not to destroy their flowers for next year. I can't remember offhand whether you should feed them now or not, but your local garden center would be helpful. Use any available pinestraw to mulch them. It's plentiful and usually free. The frost should not have damaged them, but be sure you keep them watered well.

My azalea beds contain a mixture of plants that bloom from March through October and then the camellias bloom in December and January. I have forsythia, crape myrtles, dogwoods, azaleas, and iris. Some things were here when we purchased this property and some I have added.

Good luck and be sure to keep asking questions.
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2007
9:44 AM

Post #3428586

adcmadchen-My zone 4b is too cold for lot of azaelas but 'Northern Lights' are suppose to be hardy up here. so if you don't have success with what you have could try those. Planting some this year so can't tell you first hand but if I recall correctly they were developed by U. of Minnesota which known for coming out with all sorts of great things for colder climates so anticipate they will do well.

1 gardengram-Your azaelas are gorgeous!!! Thanks ever so much for posting the pictures! What do you recommend for keeping the soil acid enough for them?
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #3429652

I've not done anything extra, just used the pinestraw. I think our soil probably has enough acidic qualities on its own. Years and years of pine trees, etc. I usually feed everything bone meal twice a year. This last year nothing was pruned, given bone meal or any fertilizer, as I was in the hospital for several months. By the time I could do much outside, they were already starting to bloom with our warm/freezing strange spring weather. Azaleas seem to require a lot of water, but I have pretty sandy soil---so that may be the reason. Most of the azaleas were here when we bought the house, but I've added some here and there to fill in spaces. They are such easy-care plants.
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3429813

1gardengram-Thanks for the information! We have sandy soil too so everything needs frequent watering once the warm weather is upon us. Our soil is somewhat acidic- ph is about 6. 7 . Usually I add compost and peat moss to any area I am going to plant to improve the soil and water retention. When you say pine straw are you referring to dry pine needles? If so I can readily get those. Glad to hear azaleas are easy care. That is my favorite quality in plants.

Sorry that you were so ill. Hope that is behind you now and that you are able to enjoy your flowers this year and for many years to come.
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2007
5:01 PM

Post #3430127

Thank you 81302. My gardening abilities are more limited now, but I spent five years planting perennials to prepare for a time like this.

We have the longleaf Carolina pines that produce tons of needles, free for the raking or can be purchased by the bale. I don't know that any pine needles do the same thing, but I do know that walking on any forest floor surely looks, smells and feels like the perfect soil. I'm for any free and/or cheap mulch, so I surely would check it out.
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 26, 2007
9:03 AM

Post #3432382

1gardengram-Thanks again! We have several different kinds of pines in our area.
I will check with our local university extension office on if makes a difference.
Bet your perennials are all gorgeous and such a great plan with thinking ahead like that!!!! Always uplifting to be surrounded by nature's beauty.
Wishing you all the best!
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3433601

Thank you again, 81302. I appreciate your encouragement.

What are you growing besides azaleas? Do you have a pretty short growing season?

I still have two things I buy each year as annuals: purple petunias and red geraniums. I can't seem to do without them. I buy parsley every year so that we always have a supply. Mine lasts two years and then it's gone. I am trying dill once more this year--just can't keep that stuff going.
The only vegetables I grow are tomatoes and peppers, plus we have a row of asparagus that is six years old.
kakezgarden
Marietta, GA

April 27, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3438639

:) thanks for the advice I will ask around and I have been keeping everything watered , as it has been rather dry here. I will continue with questions as the season goes on.

THANKS again!!
k
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 28, 2007
8:22 AM

Post #3439853

1gardengram-Yes we have a very short season-median last frost is May 7th and often still get up to Memorial day and median first frost is Sept. 27th so gardening is bit challenging on many things.
I have wide variety of things plant for flowers and am going to plant some Mountain Laurel this spring. I have vegetable garden,planted asparagus last year, have small herb garden and have lots of perennials and some bulbs. I always plant some annuals too including petunias and geraniums. Will try to dmail you within day or two with more detail.
Dill is an annual here and parsley usually doesn't make our winters so replant every year. I can get two years out of chives.
Enjoy talking to you and will be in touch on dmail.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2007
9:34 AM

Post #3440068

gardengram,
Here, I was told that dill always 'peters out' when it gets really hot, mine does. Too bad, because I love it when it flowers. Your azaleas look wonderful! I just added some new ones along my fence line. Thankfully, they all did well in spite of the frost and have been blooming. The darker colored varieties are finished, but some of the pinker ones are still going. I have some of those huge ones that are cuttings from my grandmother's azaleas. They are just beginning to bloom nicely. They are probably about 7 feet tall by now. I planted them in a back corner of the yard so that they could grow as they pleased. Just love them.
bev
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

April 28, 2007
10:39 AM

Post #3440280

81302: My azaleas are just starting to bloom a deep reddish-orange color. I looked up Northern Lights under plant files and I think what I have look similiar to the Mandarin Lights posted. Thanks for the hint! With your parsley, do you pot it and keep outside or put it in the ground? I just bought one little plant, but haven't done anything with it except water and keep in full sun. Will one plant continue to provide a lot of parsley, or does it take a long time to produce more leaves after I've cut some to use?

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #3440682

I plant my parsley in the ground and it grows very well and will last for two years, at which time they go to seed and the flavor is not good. That's why I buy a new plant or two every year, so I can make sure of a constant supply. We pick leaves from them quite often and you can hardly tell. They just keep going. Since yours is in a pot, maybe just move it to a larger pot as it grows, and then when the snow flies you can bring it inside. We have had snow here that completely covered everything several inches deep several times in one winter and the herbs survived, but I imagine that your temps. are a lot colder and last longer.

Wow! Azaleas that are 7 ft. tall would be stunning. I didn't know they could get that tall. How many years have they been in that spot?

Thanks for the info. about the dill. I'll stop wasting my money trying to get it to maturity. It's supposed to attract butterflies, but I can plant lots of other things that will do the same thing and not die off in the heat.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3441341

The azaleas were some of the first things we planted when we moved to our house almost 16 years ago. My husband ringed them around a pine in the back corner of our lot and they've been left to their own devices ever since. Interestingly, my mom had the original plants in front of her house. 3 summers ago, she decided that she was getting too old to keep pruning those monsters back, so she asked us if we could take them out. We did, but lordy was that a task!!! The rootballs must have been 300lbs each. The city came to pick them up but couldn't take them because of their size. They had to come back later and bring some special piece of equipment to move them. We dug them out by hand in the middle of summer. It's a wonder we didn't perish from heat stroke:)))
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3441876

Oh my gosh, what a horrible job!!
steph41
Fort Worth, TX

May 3, 2007
3:21 PM

Post #3459468

i bought several azaleas a few weeks ago and was told by the young lady at the garden center that they love sorghum or peat moss and i mixed the sorghum with garden soil and azaela food and planted them. so far so good but i guess i really wont know until next year how well they will do. I hope to have them just as beautiful as the ones i seen on this thread. have a good garden season y'all

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America