Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2001
11:19 AM

Post #9832

Based on an idea I came across in bhg.com, I made a vine support pole. I just want to share with you all here. I took a 68 inch PVC pipe with a two and a half inch diameter. Marked places where cross-bars are to be placed, nine inches apart (I think 6 inches would be better), 6 each on either side (I have used 12 cross bars). One foot of the pipe goes in to the ground. At the bottom of it. there is a little stub to prevent the pipe from rotating/moving. I have used old ball-point pens for cross bars. A poker will make a careful hole to tight-fit the diameter of the pen. The top can be covered with any decorative thing. About half of the pipe is filled with sand to add strength to the pipe. Those pens are fixed with weather-proof glue. The base can be packed with mud or even concrete. I have used mud since it is PVC and safe from termites. It is good enough to support a medium vine. I am growing a Clitoria for that. It has cost me very little and I did it in less than half an hour. No sweat. I want to make one more. How's the idea? :)
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2001
12:16 PM

Post #104467

Dino I'd love to see pictures of it. Sounds like it would work well. What type of PVC ... is it plastic?
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2001
5:20 PM

Post #104633

i love the idea can't wait to see the picture

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2001
4:32 AM

Post #105018

Hi, I will try to get a pic. in a short while. Wait, please.
I will post it under the Photos section.

This message was edited Friday, Aug 3rd 6:03 AM

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2014
10:34 PM

Post #9742992

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/71376/?hl=vine support pole

Just digging up an old thread, looking to share an old idea with a friend.

I can't imagine this was 12-13 years ago... and for that photo I had to borrow a digital camera from a friend. That camera recorded images on a 3 1/2 inch floppy. Sony Mavica.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2014
12:12 PM

Post #9743352

that is a really cool idea, glad you bumped up this thread and i remember those cameras. (I am also so old I remember when most film was developed in black and white) LOL

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2014
1:32 AM

Post #9744350

Hi risingcreek,

Now that has become a tomato plant support pole! I have modified a bit. Some of those pens I had used have got brittle and gone. I had discarded using it. I had grown the Clitoria vine nicely over it but no photos were taken. The pole was not sufficient for the vigourous growth. I thought it was not suitable for small vines. The pile does not give grip to growing ends of vines. See picture- put back to use.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2014
7:56 AM

Post #9744525

thank you for the picture, this gives me something to work on during the cold months here, hopefully will have them up and ready for the spring

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 11, 2014
10:16 AM

Post #9745333

I used hanging pot frames which were not being used.
Share with us what you do.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2014
1:24 PM

Post #9745455

I am less than handy when it comes to making things, what I construct works but usually is not the neatest job around. would be embarrased to share my efforts.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2014
1:26 AM

Post #9746449

I don't see anything wrong in admitting the limitations - the effort is appreciated.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Hibiscus from seed - possible? Dinu 6 Mar 27, 2014 11:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America