Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 27, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #3327017

Hi all, hope somebody can help me. A couple years ago I had the old rotten wood soffits replaced with metal, the birds were building nests in there, and they were all falling, cost me $10,000. Now I wish I hadn't, I'm about ready to rip them all down. I miss my eavestroughs, they said they couldn't put eavestroughs on metal soffit...my gardens are being washed away every time it rains. Is there a way to put my eavestroughs back?
Any help is greatly appreciated...
LeeAnne
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3329199

Something doesn't sound right. There are gutters or eavestroughs on metal soffits, I am trying to imagine why they couldn't put gutters on the house... can you post any pictures?
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 28, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3329225

ok..think I found one...you can see the main house and where the wood piece that the eavestrough would attach too and under the overhang (facia??) have been replace with metal. And it's a metal roof too.

Thumbnail by threegardeners
Click the image for an enlarged view.

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2007
8:16 AM

Post #3331928

Sorry to be nosy, but was the roof included in the 10k? Please say yes! I have a couple thoughts. Since they replaced the fascia and the roof (looks like), were the tails of the rafters so rotten that there wasn't anything much to attach gutters to? Were eavestroughs (gutters) not in the contract? Maybe the rafters were so rotten they decided to skimp and not install gutters so they didn't lose money. Gutters are often overlooked when people have a new building put up or roof work done. It's kind of an 'extra' depending on your perspective. I see there is a gutter on the porch though...

Beautiful flowers by the way! I have to ask, what are the white ones down front?
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 29, 2007
10:22 AM

Post #3332221

The roof was not included in the cost!!! It was done in 91. The eavestroughs were removed when they did the facia, and I was told that they couldn't attach them back on the metal. I still have the old eavestroughs, I kept them thinking I could use em for something some day. Nothing was too rotten, since it was holding up the troughs already? They just put all that metal over the existing wood, in places where the facia was falling they replaced the wood before they put the metal up. Are there special hooks I can get that attach to the metal to hold eavestroughs?
The white flowers up front are feverfew, I love them!! They bloom all summer for me here and they make a nice filler until I find something else to put there. They seed prolifically too.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2007
10:48 AM

Post #3332289

Well I never was very good at estimating... and those are Canadian dollars. It still looks like new, from here anyway. Either they wrapped all the wood to fit or they used a pre-made product. I still can't see why you couldn't put gutters up there. There are hooks that fit over certain brands of metal fascia, and there's stuff that fits pretty much anywhere. I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance of asking the guys who did the job why they "couldn't put eavestoughs on metal soffit"?
I used to live in zone 5, I realize the snow and ice is a whole 'nother scenario, but maybe I'm missing something. Maybe they couldn't use your particular gutters for some reason, but I don't see it. Is there someone you trust who can climb up there and see what's going on? There's practically no overhang, you've got to have something, at least around the doorway.

I'm going to look up feverfew now!
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 29, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #3332605

You will like the feverfew!!! There was a crew of 5 men, and they cut each piece to fit, took them almost 2 weeks!!!! They said that every time it snowed, which is lots up here, with the metal roof, the sliding snow would pull the troughs down every time...sigh...I was just hoping that maybe there was something new and improved on the market, something that might catch the rain, but let the snow and ice slide right over...
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3338246

Snojax, SnowBloxJax, and others are modern polycarbonate variations on the old metal snow jacks, the little metal spikes that prevent sheets of ice and snow from falling all at once and maybe hurting someone, but I'm not familiar with them. Some houses here have snow jacks, but they're mostly for show, little eagles and such.
Searching around, I'm seeing that people use 6" heavy-duty gutters on metal roofs in deep snow areas. I wonder if heat cables would help. If I were you, I'd ask some reputable local metal roof installers what they recommend. There must be some solution, I just don't know what it is
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 30, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3338256

Thank you...I've been thinking maybe just putting them up with whatever method posible...I've noticed special hangers for them, worse comes to worse I can climb a ladder and take em down every fall, put em back up in the spring...thank you for your help. If you do happen to see something, please just yell...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America