Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: soft floors in old house

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 3, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
islandmuse59
Saint Simons Island, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2007
11:00 AM

Post #3328760

Renting a small 1920's house - noticing floor is "soft" under foot on enclosed sun porch and kitchen with some sloping - how and what do I do to investigate/evaluate for my nice 70 year old land lady - I might even attempt to enlist my carpenter spouse in an apporved fix - or is it likely to be too large/expensive to attempt as a diy?
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #3329188

Something like that you can usually sister the joists with new ones and maybe put in a couple piers. The big question is how much room is there to work underneath the porch.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 28, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3329605

If you can get under to see the extent of the damage, you may be able to determine the cause.

We have had that problem with the porch at the restaurant, because the original owner NEVER used any treated lumber. I have had the "fun" of replacing joists including sistered joists as well. Not to mention roofs and rafters.

By your address, I suspect you are in the Gulf Coast, too. So between our high humidity, and the native insect population, it is a challange to keep a wooden structure together.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3389023

Island I'm betting our little wood eating friends are all through that porch. Job one would be look for termite damage. Job two would be to figure out where water is coming from. Down from the top or from under the porch. It could just be very old wood and the humidity got it. If the labor is free the job probably wouldn't be that much money. Depends how big a porch and how much damage.

Kitchen sounds scary. Is the kitchen and porch right next to the porch?

I take it the house has a crawl space? Brick or wood?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America