Photo by Melody

Sustainable Alternatives: Grass or no grass...??

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 24, Views: 428
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
10:56 AM

Post #3332329

Ever since I bought this place, I have slowly been whittling away at the grassy area in favor of other plantings...i.e. trees, garden areas, flowers, etc...my goal was to eventually be able to mow with scissors, and I am happy to say, I am almost there..

I am wondering how many others are doing the same..

Front yard..

Thumbnail by earthling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
10:57 AM

Post #3332333

towards north-west to back yard..

as you can see, we are still fighting the weeds here.

Thumbnail by earthling

ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2007
10:58 AM

Post #3332338

I knew exactly what your thread meant! LOL!!!

We are heading towards NO GRASS although my husband is not aware of my sinister plan!!! LOL!!!

I have been gradually putting in more beds - a few a year... :) The last one we just did I'm not sure how big but it took 12 bales of pine straw to fill it!! I need a couple more too!!

Hee hee hee...

the evil plotting wife! :)

Nicole

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
10:59 AM

Post #3332339

into back yard...

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3332346

along path, to the left...here is the main garden area.

(Working on my gnome village there..)

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3332353

to the right...more garden.

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:05 AM

Post #3332362

Some more back yard..this from the patio toward the arbor area.

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:07 AM

Post #3332371

Behind arbor...(extras and composters)

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:09 AM

Post #3332381

From arbor towards patio...

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:14 AM

Post #3332400

Another...but more of the pitiful yard area...
Last year was terribly dry and since I refuse to water grass, most of the St. Augustine died. Whats left is some Bermuda fighting to come back up and weeds.

The black container is the top of a 2 layered pool. The bottom is in another part of the garden with strawberries in it. I will move it in the fall to be close to this one..(where the white barrel is now), then mulch the entire top of the little grassy area (around the bottom black pool planter..to the other side of the yard and will place the white barrel planters in that area along the path at the top)

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:18 AM

Post #3332420

East side of back yard (other side of patio)

I had Spirea along the house (to the right) but last fall had to have some foundation work done so had them take it all out. It is getting too shady now since the pecan trees have gotten so large. So now I have a large canvas to work with..not sure what I will put in there yet, but will have to be shade loving plants.

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:21 AM

Post #3332432

from shed toward patio (east side)

The plants you see there are going to be moved to the front of the house...this area is under 2 large pecan trees...

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #3332439

From patio looking back into the yard..other garden area.

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:25 AM

Post #3332445

tomatoes looking good...

Thumbnail by earthling

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2007
11:25 AM

Post #3332446

I moved in less than a year ago, and am absolutely determined to get rid of as much of the grass as I can. The neighborhood I live in does not have much in the way of rules, but you have to fit in with the neighborhood. I'm cool with that, but... I tore out the grass between the garage and the sidewalk and have a rose garden going there (I hope) and am whittling away at the rest of it. I think as long as I have one stretch of "golf course" it'll be all right.

But the back yard is MINE. I have a 20 foot herb circle and 7 raised beds, plus a pond and a vegetable garden. I really have to learn to eat the elephant one bite at a time...

Edited to say I love what you're doing! Getting ideas!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2007 10:26 AM

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #3332453

Back to the path leading out to the front yard...

These poor bushes were almost pushed to the ground after those guys finished with the foundation work which is why they are tied up now to get them straightened up a little..

This message was edited Mar 29, 2007 10:38 AM

Thumbnail by earthling

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:28 AM

Post #3332459

Thanks for the support of my ideas...I have other things to do with my time than mow grass after spending money on stuff to make it grow..

Good luck to all that are doing the same thing. It takes time but is well worth it..

Kris

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
11:37 AM

Post #3332494

Forgot one of the back..this is looking toward the patio. The plants in the containers will be planted in the front yard in front of the large window that I am going to replace soon. Most of the front bushes were also removed with the foundation repairs.

Thumbnail by earthling

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3332499

Yay, Kris!

We have nearly 1-1/2 acres of green stuff that requires mowing. This spring I'm taking out maybe 1/8 acre for a vegetable garden and I hope to start some lasagna beds for flowers soon. Might take me 5 years to get rid of enough grass/clover/weeds to suit me.
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3333579

It looks like you are closing in on eliminating the grass. I have a large yard and have also been trying to cut down on the amount of grass that I have to mow. I built a large deck then a gazebo about twenty feet away. I then extended a walkway from the deck to the gazebo. All of this is where grass used to grow. I also built four flower beds by removing grass. I am now PONDering what I should do next.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3333938

I am guilty of an evil plan as well. I have all the grass gone except for 1/2 of the front lawn. My goal is to have the entire yard (only a 50' x 100' lot with house and garage) producing food for me or critters.

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3334005

WAY TO GO...what better use for our property than to provide for ourselves.

I had a pond under the arbor but it got too shady when those Redbud trees grew and got too messy with the leaves, etc. that was always falling into it. So the pond came out and filled with dirt. I am not sure what will go there permanently, but have a lot of time to make a decision.

The first thing I did when moving in here was plant pecan trees due to the heat and brutal sun in the summer. Now they are providing shade, but it also takes away a lot of productive area that could be used. Still it was worth it because I LOVE having the shade and the pecans in the fall.

Kris
fourx
Nth Coast NSW
Australia

March 30, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #3335504

Hey Kris, great pics, and I 'm a big fan of Pecans- it's pecan time down here right now- but in a hot climate I think a little greensward cools things down beautifully..the secret is not to be a slave to the mowing, ( I only mow once ever tree weeks or so, and in the cooler waether not at all) and to have a few cows you can let in if things get beyond you. I admire what you have done, and your garden looks great..I just don't like the heat that reflects off hard surfaces.
Do Macadamias grow there? I imagine they would do well, the climate seems much the same as here halfway between Sydney and Brisbane.

Thumbnail by fourx

jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2007
9:39 AM

Post #3336023

This article may be of some interest: http://www.margonaut.com/lawns.htm

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2007
10:24 AM

Post #3336178

Jasmerr, thanks for the link...I couldnt have said it better myself.

We have been under water restrictions since last year (allowed watering one day a week unless its hand watering), plus they are now billing us according to usage..more you use, more you are charged per gallon. I lost most of what little grass I had after the brutal summer last year and didnt miss it one bit. I will never be sorry with my decision to get rid of the grass. I still have grass in front to mow but now it takes about 5 minutes instead of the couple hours it used to take to do front and back.

fourx...I would love to be able to live in a place where I could have cows or goats to manage the grassy areas, but when one lives in a town with government looking over your shoulder, one has to follow the laws...or risk getting tickets for code violations..and a big one here is to maintain the height of the grass.

I planted the pecans around for the shade mainly because they are native trees. I knew they would survive no matter what kind of summers we get...they are growing tall and proud and providing the shade that I wanted...the nuts are an added bonus. In fact, thats where I got a few more pecan seedlings...the nuts drop and sprout, I dig them up and re-plant them somewhere else where they were needed. They might not be the big, fancy papershell pecans, but they are a lot more tolerant of the conditions.

Kris

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America