Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SEEDLINGS vs. DIRECT SOW

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

First off, all of my garden is in containers on the patio. I have ferns, a huge philodendron, lots of asparagus and ponytail ferns, geraniums, caladiums, a coupla rose bushes, fan palms, and variegated ginger plants. I'm also doing tomates for the first time, and have gotten them all the way from sowing seeds to planting out in the EBs. Now's the waiting game for the tomatoes.

I didn't have a big $$ budget for this summer, however, I want to plant colorful flowers (zinnias) in pots to dot here and there within my greenery for pockets of color. And, I have to do it on the cheap. So, I bought all these packets of zinnias (Cut and Come, Lime, and Fuschia) and I sowed them in pellets and aluminum pans. Now I'm uppotting them into 2" seed trays (yeah, I know I should've just sowed the seeds directly into the seed trays...live and learn).

Is this uppotting and unnecessary step at this point? Can I just transplant the hardy seedlings into the containers? I'm running out of containers to uppot to....

Also, if anyone has any zinnias in containers, I'd sure like to see your arrangements for ideas.

Thanks!

Linda

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am a direct sow kind of gardener. I have enough things to do without all that potting up. You should be warm enough, it is April.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

thanks, Dale!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.