Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: Leggy Datura seedling

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 2, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3339723

I am growing Datura for the first time- and of all the plants I have started in my kitchen, they are much more leggy than any other flowers- not sure why as they are all getting the same light. Just natural light from the windows- I have a tiny apartment and haven't worked out a way to get lights up.
I'd take a picture, but my other half is out of town and has the digital camera :-(
How deep do you all plant these when you pot up? A lot of my annuals I just bury down to the cotyledons and they do just fine- can you do this with Datura?
My Lilac La Fleur (I think thats the name) is the tallest- its getting its first set of true leave right now, and is 3 inches tall. For contrast, the double whites and the triple yellows (in the same flat right next to the Lilac) are only 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall. They were all started on March 14th.
Have another question as well- some of the other Daturas that haven't germinated yet have this white fuzzy looking stuff around the seeds- is this normal or something bad? Do I need to start those over?
Thanks in advance- I am REALLY looking forward to these Datura this summer! Such a pretty plant. Samantha in Philly
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2007
12:13 PM

Post #3339763

I've never had that problem, but you might be able to get away with planting it deep since it's in the same family as tomato.

X

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2007
11:02 AM

Post #3401125

When the Daturas get bigger and they get leggy, should you cut them back or pinch them so they bush more.
Robin.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America