Save Those Socks!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Do you have socks that have holes in them?

Is your washing machine eating matching sets of socks?

Well don't throw them away!!! They are awesome for:

1. putting over your hands and dusting...perfect for corners and unlike the Swifter stuff used socks are free and you are saving the landfills.

2. let your kids make hand puppets with them (cut eyes and ears out of felt to stitch on).

3. use them when you faux finish walls or stain furniture.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ack, but I still have to sew them up first.
Good ideas all around. But can someone else put them on to dust?

Even better!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I have used a single sock to put my palm pilot in. Not stylish but it keeps the scratches off! Works for cell phones too.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I use them for rags also - who wants to wash a rag that has just cleaned a toilet (around the rim and seat) - I buy all cotton so I just throw it in the compost heap when done that icky chore....

Fort Edward, NY(Zone 5a)

If you put one on the end of a long broom handle and attach with rubberbands, its also great for getting cobwebs and dust bunnies out of those high corners and also in the really low corners, under the couch, etc....

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Also, you can put some catnip in it, tie off the tube end
and let your cat enjoy their new toy.

Oh yeah I forgot that one: tie knots in it and it's a great dog chew toy. Our dog always knew "HER" socks by the knots and left all other socks alone.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

My tomatoes are tied with old socks (scary huh?) :-)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I cut off the toe end, then cut them open to lay flat and use them on my swiffer duster. Just wash and reuse. I use them for all kinds of cleaning chores including making wet mop heads.

Hang one on a fence line, etc. near an outdoor source of water and put a bar of soap in it. Use for washing up before going inside. The soapy water can be caught in a pail and used to wash bugs off the plants nearby. That's what our ancestors did with laundry and bath water and I think they had fewer insect problems than we do. They also knew the importance of water conservation.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Good suggestions leaflady, I have been really watching my water usage its amazing how much is getting watered from second hand "grey" water, I have not used my hoses yet this year.....

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I save my old socks/mismatched socks for working in the garden. I get them so dirty!! When they get really ugly I can just throw them away.

Santa Fe, NM

Good ideas! I'm going to use my old socks for garden wash-ups. That soapy water might be just the thing for aphids. Thanks for the tip.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I use old socks to carry jewelry in my suitcase and store my real pearls in an old cotton sock to keep them from getting scratched. Also - what self respecting thief would steal old socks?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I hate spending money on Swiffer mop refill pads which are only good for one use. Slip an old sock over the mop base, spritz it with a bit of water, and it does just as good a job of picking up cat hair and dust from the kitchen floor.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

June, I do that too with the dry mop type. But how do we use that on the wet mop type Swiffer? I haven't figured that out yet. And I don't use the batteries on the wet mop either. That was the first battery operated wet mop I have ever seen. I just pour a little water on the floor and mop with that.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I don't use the Swiffer wet mop. For me, with my old floors, it just wasn't effective enough to warrant the expense. Twice a month I use my Hoover FloorMate to thoroughly clean all bare floors, and in between I use the "damp sock mop" to deal with the cat hair. If there are crumbs around the stove and sink, a dustpan and brush takes care of them -- and it's very cost effective!.

June

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My Swiffer wet mop was given to me or I wouldn't have it. Like you, I don't think it is all that effective. I still like my good old rag mop. Made of old socks.

Hominy, OK(Zone 6b)

I have been known. to slip a tube sock or old pillow case over the dusty fan blade and then I drag, with a little pressure the tube sock off or pillow case,of the blade and wa la clean blades no dust on table ,beds ect., dry of course and a spritzed sock works well, as well. I spritz the sock inside out with mixed 3/4 c of white vinagar,1/4cup of lemon ammoina,1 tblspoon of dish soap and fill the spray bottle up entirely with water . We have semi hard water and it keeps my sink and faucet gleaming too.but dust is a protective coating ya know! just kidding!
/

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

I throw the dirty swiffer dusting sheets in with my white wash with bleach and then into the dryer and use over and over again.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cut off the foot part on a long sock.
Use the upper part to pull over your forearms (ribbed end around wrist) when you will be working
with plants in the garden that have thorns, "itchy" things, Poison Ivy, or just something really dirty.

Also--if you are painting something or spraying something nasty in the garden.

Launder if needed--or just toss. Gita

Dahlonega, GA

Socks are good on that Swiffer mop and I mix my own soap for the dispenser . Found out that the paper towels that don't come apart work really well on the mop , and can toss or rinse out for another time . I have several boxes of the regular covers but don't even use them any more . I used to wash them too .I use socks to wash dishes with too . Just the right size and so disposable .

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Oooo!! I have been looking for ideas for holey socks!! DH goes through bunches of them with his steel toed boots...and I hate throwing them away.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, some really good ideas here. I slip them on for dusting things that have lots of crannies and for dusting electronics. Also for cleaning the bird feeders outside - and then can wash or just toss them.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

They are good for cleaning the fancy chrome rims on my motorcycle. Just slip them on your hands and wash or polish.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images