Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: Garage door opener won't close door

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #3347843

My garage door opener is not working properly--it will open the door just fine but once it's open it won't close (it doesn't even start to close--just sits there and does nothing). It does it whether I'm using the remote or the button on the wall (both work to open the door, neither works to close it). For a while it would sometimes close and sometimes it wouldn't, but now it won't close at all. It's an older unit but I can't afford to replace it right now so I'm hoping it's something that I can fix to make it last for at least another 6 months or so. Any ideas what might be wrong with it?
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #3381922

what kind is it? Sears has a great website (sears.com) where you can get instructions for just about anything they make in a .pdf file format and it will tell you how to troubleshoot it.

you might try changing the batteries in the remote but find the directions first... because changing the batteries often means reprogramming the buttons on the remote to operate with your opener's mechanism.

every whipstitch ours quits responding to the remote and we have to reprogram it.

I hope this helps.
Janie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2007
9:31 AM

Post #3382485

Thanks, I will check out Sears. It's definitely not the remote--I have the same problem whether I use the remote or the button on the wall that's hardwired to the opener.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #3390023

i posted directions the other night; will do again.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3390180

I had another thread in Handyman since nobody had responded here initially--your instructions are over there. Haven't had time to try it yet but now that it's the weekend I'm hoping to give them a try.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America