Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: For someone new to hot peppers.....

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
deanCA
Hercules, CA

April 4, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #3353073

How would you tell someone who wants to try a hot pepper [and who may not be very experienced with hot foods] to try it?
Obviously, he can't just go and take a bite. I wouldn't want someone to try it in a complete recipe and then find it too hot and have to throw the whole thing out.
Would you suggest he just put a measured amount [how much?] in 1/4 cup of olive oil, heat it, and then pour it over a small salad, adding vinegar and straining out the actual pepper?

Any ideas?

thanks,
dean
chef_tish
Alexander, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2007
9:39 AM

Post #3353918

I would suggest cooking with meat. Try chunking up one chicken breast, brown in skillet with a drizzle of olive oil. As it's browing, season with garlic salt and a little black pepper. Put one or two whole peppers in to brown with the chicken. This will release some of the pepper's oils, but not introduce the seeds and the white flesh inside the peppers (these are the two hottest parts of the pepper). Once chicken is cooked through, add vegetables of your choice for one serving. I usually hit the frozen vegetable aisle at the grocery store and pick up a bag of stir fry vegetables. A third of a bag is plenty for one person. Put a lid on the skillet and let the steam cook the vegatables for about 5 minutes. It's a one serving dish - if they don't like it, there's not much wasted. And if they're brave, they can take a tiny bite off the tip of the pepper to see how much they can handle.
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3356728

If I were serving appetizers that included VERY hot peppers, I would tell everyone that certain appetizers are for the brave of heart. People who do NOT enjoy HOOOOTTT peppers will prefer knowing which appetizers have a lot of heat so they can avoid them. I think there are certain people who like trying hot flavors and their are folks who DO NOT like hot flavors and you can never convince those people to enjoy HOT peppers. Your best bet to encourage folks to try hotter peppers is to acclimate them slowly, using other flavors to offset your hot peppers with other milder flavors. For example, try making 2 different salsa's... one can be hot and the other mild to help people build a tolerance in trying other pepper types. Good luck and have fun!!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3360102

good advice...the worst way to test how hot a pepper is...is to bite into the tip with nothing between you and the pepper...hot peppers are at their best when used as flavoring or relish.

Make a mild salsa with the chopped pepper on the side...folks can add to their serving as they get braver...or more tolerant.

As stated above, the seeds and the interior mid-ribs that the seeds are attached to are the hottest part of the pepper...keeping those portions from the mouth will give more of the pepper flavor.

Depending on the pepper...it can burn different parts of the mouth...There's an especially hot Lemon Pepper that's got an exquisite burn for the back of the throat...

Ummm...need to see if I've still got some of those seeds...nice 'warm' memory...
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 6, 2007
10:37 AM

Post #3361454

Cooking can take some of the heat out. If you flame roast the peppers and remove the burned skin as well as the seeds and ribs, it can make them milder, but a hot pepper is still a hot pepper.

If serrano or jalapeno peppers are too hot for you, try poblano.

I loved horseradish as a boy (still do), but could not tolerate hot peppers. Gradually began by adding some hot sauce to various dishes - now grow jalapeno and chili pequin. But usually deseed the jalapenos, and use very few pequins in a soup or stew. I want the flavor and some heat - not all heat.

Also have every Tabasco sauce available in the kitchen.

A friend gave be a hot sauce that is so hot we use very few drops in our Red Beer only - I probably have a lifetime supply in that one tiny bottle.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America