Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Is it okay to plant potatoes above drowned potatoes?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3356633

This is porbably the right forum for this question. Is it okay to plant taters above drowned taters? I planted everything except my taters in raised rows. We had an unusual amount of rain in a short period of time and they got drowned. Can I just add a couple of inches of more dirt and plant more above the drowned ones or will they make the new ones sick. I got 3 75' rows of yukon gold that stayed under water about a week. The ones that had sprouted wilted. I assume they are all dead. Is it too late to start potatoes in zone 7b? Thanks in advance, Mike
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2007
8:28 AM

Post #3357526

I have never had that problem, But I would have to be desperate to haul in dirt and replant overtop of the old ones, If they have rotted, the rot will spread. and of course piling on more more dirt won't do anything for the water logged soil soil below.
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2007
8:31 AM

Post #3357535

dig up a couple that have not come up yet/or wilted, you may be able to salvage part of those rows?

that will tell you what you are dealing with.

Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #3359012

Thanks dill and bonkers.
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #3392786

You might find this helpful:

http://132.178.236.111/information/otherprojects/potato/grow2.html
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3392837

Thanks Mahnot. I new better than to plant them low like I did, I planted everything else on raised rows. I hilled two of the three rows back up and planted more corn there since I had alot more corn seeds. I am hoping that the rotted taters will just act like rotted compost to the corn if there roots reach that deep. I have some other taters that I planted in 33 gallon garbage bags like I had seen in some magazine and they seem to be doing quite well so maybe I will still have some taters. I just got back in town and my son told me we missed the hail. I watched some of the news last night and it seemed like there was alot of hail and that there was at least one tornado in most counties around here. Take care, Mike
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3396570

You're welcome, Mike. Hope you get a great crop.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America