-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2007
10:13 AM

Post #3357865

Just wondering how much a diff in $ is it to go granite tiles 12 x 12? vs one big custom cut piece. I know I can not afford a custom piece but maybe tiles.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2007
10:28 AM

Post #3357917

Are you planning to do the tiles yourself or pay someone else to put them in? If you compare the cost of DIY tiles vs installed slab, it's way, way cheaper to do the tiles. For example, in my kitchen if I have someone install a slab it'll cost ~$4000, but I could easily do it for $500-$1000 if I do tiles myself depending on which tiles I choose, obviously that cost would go up a lot if someone else does it. To save the most money though don't get the tiles from the big box stores, you can find better prices at tile or marble/granite stores. The thing to keep in mind is the tiles are much thinner than the granite slab, so they're going to be easier to damage later, plus you have the grout lines which some people don't like. If you decide to go with a slab, the way to save money is to see if you can find leftover pieces at the granite store--you'll end up with some seams in your countertop but you'll save money over having a whole custom-cut slab (you're basically buying the leftovers after someone else had a custom cut slab). The look will be a lot the same but you save a bunch. And don't get a fancy edge treatment--that can add a lot to the cost.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2007
12:26 PM

Post #3358337

thank you, thank you, e3!
LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT
(Zone 4b)

April 15, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3392759

We just had slab granite installed last month. It is beautiful. We are not handy enough to do our own tile, but I have a neighbor who did it and it looks really nice.

The tiles are far more limited in patterns and they tend to be quite plain. If you like a lot of "movement" in the granite you will need a slab. I didn't think I wanted a lot of variation until I went to a slab yard. Wow! What fun! I was hooked. I needed a granite slab and I needed it bad!!! I love the variation. We have been finding all sorts of designs in it. There is a tug boat, a drawing on a cave wall, a papoose, the "eye" on Lord of the Rings. It is fund to see so many different things.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 198 Apr 30, 2014 6:14 PM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America