Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Did I do this? question regarding my Queen of the Night

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fayebaybee
McKenzie, TN

April 5, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3358469

I really don't know a lot about plants. Despite this fact, my husband's grandmother entrusted her Queen of the Night to me (of all people!) before she passed away. I haven't watered it much. Maybe once a week and not a lot of water when I do. I've kept it inside since she gave it to me last fall. Haven't had a problem until the last week. Since the temperature has been getting near 80 I decided to put it outside for a couple of days last week. I had planned on leaving it out there but I saw the temp. was going to drop off a little so I brought it back in. Today I went into the room it has been living in and was horrified to see the leaves turning brown and crusty. I feel awful and want to know if this is a result of something I have done/need to quit doing or if this is something else I need to treat. What is this stuff? I've already killed two others that she gave me, the first by leaving it out to get scorched by the sun and I think I overwatered the second. I thought I might know what not to do by now...Help! This is the last chance I've got and will feel terrible if I've doomed yet another! Thanks in advance for any advice. This is my first post but I'm excited about stumbling onto this site!

**edit--I just realized that this might not have been the right forum...oops! I apologize to anyone that might keep up with that kinda stuff!

This message was edited Apr 5, 2007 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by fayebaybee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fayebaybee
McKenzie, TN

April 5, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #3358522

Here's a pic of another leaf:

Thumbnail by fayebaybee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3358549

I try to never put mine in direct sun outside, instead some place protected, in the shade.Kind of like hardening off garden plants. I can't say I'm of much help, but DG does have a houseplant forum, is that what it is?
fayebaybee
McKenzie, TN

April 5, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3358732

Well, from what I've read about it, this plant grows outdoors in areas that don't freeze. Mine has been potted for who knows how long but according to all that I have found, it likes to be root bound. From what I understand, she kept it outside under a tree during the summer and then moved it back in during the fall and winter. I've learned from the first one I had not to put it in the sun so I put this one on the porch which is shaded but still gets indirect light. I posted in plants also, but maybe I should post in houseplants, too? Thanks for your input!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2007
8:47 PM

Post #3359829

It could be sunburn--even if a plant can normally take some sun, if it's been indoors you need to introduce it to sunlight gradually, put it out for a short period of time one day, then slowly work it up to more and more time outside. Even an area that gets part sun but a bunch of shade it's still much brighter than indoors so you still need to introduce it gradually.
fayebaybee
McKenzie, TN

April 6, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #3360695

Ok. This is similiar to another answer that I got suggesting it is exposure damage. Althought the temps neared high 80's the wind picked up in the evening and they advised that this is a heat lover so I should wait a little longer before putting outside. I think I will take both of ya'lls advice! Thanks so much! Now..what do I do with those crusty leaves? Do I leave 'em or remove? Any more suggestions? You guys/gals are awesome...I think this place is going to be addictive!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2007
9:54 AM

Post #3361337

I would probably pull off any leaves that look dead, they're not helping the plant any. But if there are some that are still part green then I would leave those until the plant puts out some new growth.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America