Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Fruit: Strawberries

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 18, Views: 320
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HighCntryGrdnr
Kremmling, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #3359599

Hi,

I have a rectangluar planter about 6 square feet, that I was thinking about using for strawberries. Its is a very sunny location and close to the house, but I'm not sure if the space is large enough. I would like to have enough plants to produce well and grow. What do you guys think?
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3359760

My strawberry patch is about the same size and we get lots of june bearers. The only problem is that the kids eat them before I can cook with them, but that's not a real problem. They pick bowls and sit and eat them. I planted mine bare root 3 years ago and mine produced the first season. Good luck with yours!
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3360150

The space sounds large enough for like 6 plants. This time of the year, all the nurseries and box stores are setting out potted strawberries. Get some of those and you may get some berries this year. I think starting in a small area like that is good because you can make the soil nice and rich and make sure they get plenty of water. You probably won't get a ton of berries from the planter, but when the original plants start sending out runners, as soon as they root, separate the daugther plants and start a new planter. You'll have plenty in a couple years.

Jeff
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2007
8:34 AM

Post #3361062

with strawberries you sometimes have to be cruel to get them to bear heavily.

they are heavy feeders and need lots of water and sun to ripen the fruit.

If you are starting out first year with only a couple of plants in the space, pinch off the blooms this summer. Sure, you won't get any fruit, but the plants will set out runners like mad. I started out with 6 plants last spring, and this spring have a 4'x4' bed...

Next spring, top dress the patch with organic matter (well rotted manure or what ever you have) and rake it over early spring. The raking will pull off the dead leaves.

Stand back and watch them bear!

Some pick your own strawberry farms will actually mow over the patch after the June bear is over. This rejuvenates the plants, getting them to set out more runners.

Go with what will work for you!

have fun.
HighCntryGrdnr
Kremmling, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2007
9:47 AM

Post #3378691

I haven't seen any planters at the local garden centers here, but then again our last frost is still about 6 weeks away. I was thinking about ordering some online, but with all the vendors to choose from I'm a little nervous. Where did all of you get yours? Any luck with online purchases?
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2007
10:40 AM

Post #3378885

lol, just moved the plants from a neglected corner of a flower bed, but originaly they came from the garden centre, (I think!)

I prefer the hands on approach, some strawberry plants come bareroot, and it's helpful to be able to look them over before chosing the best (alive) package.

You may have luck with other gardeners sharing plants, how 'bout posting a request in a recycle bulletin board? Of look in the newspaper under recycle offers...

I'm a recycle scrounge hound... lol
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2007
11:02 AM

Post #3378958

I ordered some strawberry plants that should be here in another week. I have sought counsel from a neighbor who has had a garden all his life...(he's 86). I'm sure by now, he is "set in his ways"... :)When I spoke with him yesterday and told him about my strwb plants he said well here's what you do... Now I'm a bit confused as to what to do. For those of you who had success with strwb., please advise. Here were his comments:

"Well it's too late to do anything with them this year...why did you order them so late?"
"Well, I wanted to plant them this spring and when they bloom, I'll pinch off the blooms and they will produce a lot more next year."
"Who told you that?"
"Friends..."
"Well...here's what you do...you make a big mound of 'dirt' and cover it with black plastic. Then you put more 'dirt' along the edges to seal it in. Then you make an X with a knife and put the plant in it. Then you water it."
"How much water?"
"Well...just water it! It don't matter cuz the plastic will keep it moist."
"Ok."
"Then when the runners start coming out, pinch 'em off. Or you can let 'em run and then cut you another X and let that runner root...but you won't get near as big a strwbs."
"Hmmmm..."
"You see that plastic keeps out the weeds. You don't have time to be messin' around with a bunch a weeds. And you gotta grow 'em fast cuz they like disease...like carrots and squash and cucumbers. Grow 'em fast or they ain't no good. And when you put the 'dirt' along the edges to seal it in, put some rye grass down. That way, when you're ready to pick 'em, you won't have to walk in a bunch a mud.
Pinger thinks to herself..."I'm not growing a strwb farm for pete's sake, it's just 25 plants." Well I was told to plant them in tiers"
"Aw naw...that's a...you don't...who told you that?"
"My friends..."
"You oughta just go down to Carrigan Farms and pick your own strwbs. And they don't bother pickin' off the blooms, either."
"Really...why not?"
In a raised voice..."Cuz that's just not the way you do it! They plant the strwb plants in the fall and pick 'em in the spring. Then they just mow it all down and start over. And they get a crop every year! I'm tellin ya...I know what I'm talkin about!"
"Ok...I hear ya...Oh yeah...and I'm gonna plant the strwb. in their own bed too."
"Well...you do whatchu won't...I don't know nothin', I just been plantin' all my life..."

By the way, according to "Buck"...I'm planting my tomatoes way too close together, my corn way too close together, I'm planting way too much for the space that I have, and squash will never grow "up", only sprawl.

So let's here you guys! What's the best way?
And I do enjoy my conversations with Buck...they get verrry interesting at times!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
11:12 AM

Post #3378996

Sorry, I'm with Buck.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #3379043

No need to be sorry, Farmerdill...by any means. But could you explain exactly what you agree with and why?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3379156

First I am almost as old Buck and set in set in my ways too. [quote]"Well...here's what you do...you make a big mound of 'dirt' and cover it with black plastic. Then you put more 'dirt' along the edges to seal it in. Then you make an X with a knife and put the plant in it. Then you water it."[/quote] That is the easiest way although there are many ways to do. Black plastic does keep weeds down and give you cleaner strawberries. In the olden days, we did similar plantings but mulch with wheat straw. Little more work but does fine. It is best to plant in the fall in areas where this is possible. Spring planting also works, but you have to put some effort into it, like pinching those blossoms.

By the way, the only folks I have seen have any success with "tiers" and the old time strawberry planters (barrel with holes in the side) used everbearers. Not a big crop usually but an interesting conversation piece in a flower garden.

I don't know your spacings, but it is common practice among novice growers to overcrowd thier plants.
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #3379444

Pinger, I have to chuckle because my neighbor "Earl" is Buck's long lost brother. I felt as it were ME having the conversation with Earl. Any time I don't know how to do anything and I need a fast answer, I go to him. His answers always baffle me and they are always different than 'what I've heard', but I just do whatever he says and it always works out. After I do what he says, I try not to be nervous while waiting and wondering if it will actually grow right, but it works out. I'm glad someone else has an Earl or a Buck for a neighbor, because they are one in a million. Plus, a really good neighbor is worth their weight in gold!!!
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3380360

Pinger I planted a couple hundred strawberries the way Buck is telling you to do it around Christmas last year. They've done well and have berries on them now. See Pic. But I planted around 1000 total this winter and I have them all over, some mulched with plastic, some with wheat straw, some with wood chips and some I haven't mulched yet. They're all doing pretty well.

They're a lot of work to keep them weeded, watered (they are shallow rooted) and to take off the daughter plants so anything you can do to help with this in setup will save you a lot of work later. Black Plastic helps a lot with all of those.

Jeff

Thumbnail by jkehl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3387456

Ping
i have the same conversation with my FIL he has been doing gardeing and his mom was a greenhouse owner and hobby flower gardener. So he has about 100 yrs of experience . So i don't ask question ,i just do what he says to do LOL :)
There is somthinhg to be said for "old school ways "
i love it when you said " friends " hahaha that was my response too with my FIl. I have learned. :)
I wish you luck
i tried stawberries and didn't ask my FIL ,he saw what i was doing . He just shook his head and walked away. lolol
best
sue
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #3515872

Farmerdill,

I planted Everysweet strawberries, ever-bearing type, about six weeks ago. They are starting to send out runners. Should I be cutting the runners off or just letting them go? I have been picking the blooms off until about a week ago.

Karen
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #3516170

I am not familiar with that cultivar but everbearers in general don't send ou a lot of runners. I would only cut the runners that were going places I did not want them go. I f you have room to put them into the ground, instant new plant and you can expand your strawberry patch.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #3516755

Farmerdill,

Eversweet was developed in FL and reportedly will take temp up to 100 and still fruit. That's why I'm trying them here. I'll take your advice on the runners.

Thanks,
Karen
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 26, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3538235

Hi Guy's, Im in Scotland UK, grow strawberry's the way the old boy's have said and you cant go wrong, My dad always prepared his new beds useing black pollythene and we had great crops, he dug the beds before the frost came, then covered the bed with the pollythene as this helped to warm up the soil and weeds out, no light for germinating weeds, in early spring when planting, cut the crosses and in went the plants, best childhood memories ever, he did the same with potatoes and other root veg, back to the strawbwrry's, the straw that was laid between the rows was to keep the fruit clean and help keep the slugs off, he sometimes made a cage with plastic netting to keep the birds off, befor pollythene by the way, he gathered old carpet trimmings or sacking that did the same job, but was removed when the soil was warm enough. Any runners that he wanted to keep from 3rd year, he just filled a pot with soil and pegged the atached runners into the pot till time to replant or pass on to friends, he only kept his plants for about 3 years and started fresh with his runners in the pots. I think we have sometimes lost the true knack of gardening and want everything instant and artificial feeds cause more probs that they are worth for flavour and money.
Another of his idea's that worked was for roses, he always put the fat from the roast into the planting hole that he dug for his roses, spread out the roots and filled the whole with soil, top dresses with horse manure, to each hole he planted a couple of Garlic cloves and he NEVER had a problem with greenfly, black spot or anything, had wonderfull roses, the pride of the neighbourhood, he said that the fat made the greenery tougher/shinnier and unpleasant to pests as did the garlic, so who knows, all these things that were passed down through the ages, maybe were good and safer for all. good luck with the strawberry patch folks. Maybe we should start a forum for old gardening folklore eh. WeeNel.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3558513

sounds great WeeNel i m with you on the hurry things up . Mass production doesn't taste good at all. Slow and grow i always say.
sue
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 4, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9265078

I was researching planting strawberries and I came across an idea of filling a large pot with potting soil and filling a smaller pot placing it on top of the soil in the first pot and continuing this process with smaller pot them filling in with the strawberry plants or the strawberry runners. My pots have been in my garden for 2 years now and I am getting lots of berries

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM
cherry and pear problems rubia16 3 Jul 1, 2007 7:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America