Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: need to know about planting potatoes and corn

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 14, Views: 178
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flyinghawk
London, KY

April 6, 2007
9:52 AM

Post #3361328

it is good friday lots of people plant today.. but my dad said not to because of full moon will cause the taters with come to the top of the ground id plant in the light of the moon ... when should i plant im live in london kentucky ...thanks
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #3361760

I plant in the ground, under the light of the sun. Never was much for night work. Good Friday was the planting day for potatoes in Southwest Virginia, probably a good target date for eastern Kentucky. Eastern Virginia swore by Saint Patricks day. Nothing magic tho. You want to plant potatoes about 6 weeks before your last frost date.
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2007
1:55 PM

Post #3371902

My bible (Burpee's book on organic veggies) says to plant potatoes when the soil is 40 degrees; www.ronniger.com, where I got my seed potatoes this year, says when the soil is 50 degrees. I'm "chitting" my potatoes now (European custom, but the potatoes are Dutch so I say hey) (exposing them to light so their sprouts will have gotten started before they're planted), and hope to plant them in large pots next weekend. Last night was the last, supposedly, of a 6-day cold spell, highly unusual for April around here, and in fact 2 days broke the record lows of 1936 and 1917 (coldest Easter Sunday dawn in Kansas City history). They predict one more frosty morning this week before a slow warmup. We're all running very late this year.

The spuds will experience a couple of full moons before they're ready for harvest, and not once are they going to climb out of the soil for us.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3373947

Good Friday, was always the "target" planting date here, but sometimes Mother Nature didn't cooperate. Just wait until the soil is dry, and it isn't freezing, and they will do well. I would think that you could plant anytime this week, if you have dry soil. I think Good Friday was so close to the 6 weeks before final frost that it was used as a rule of thumb.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2007
12:23 PM

Post #3375641

"I plant in the ground, under the light of the sun. Never was much for night work"
Hah...grinnin' here, Farmerdill...too funny! :>)

Flyinghawk, WELCOME to the site! As for planting taters, I tend to watch Nature. When you see dandelions flowering in the open spaces that is a great sign as to when to plant...it lets you know the ground is warming up a bit and ready to accept! As for the corn, 55 to 85 is optimal ground temps. (Some corn seed is treated with a fungicide so it can be planted in cooler ground but it doesn't necessarily speed up germination.)

As for Good Friday, that has been a traditional day in many areas across the country for planting the gardens but wasn't necessarily a day to determine what to plant. Good Friday always has a full moon in the sky, either that day or a few days before (or the Sat/Sun after). People feel the moon phases are important times to plant various crops, as you may know. Keeping that in mind you might want to also keep in mind that Good Friday can happen as early as mid-March and as late as mid-April, and the weather conditions at each end of that spectrum can vary widely, eh?

Wishing all a day of Happy Growing!
Shoe
lfwbrdgwm
River Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3378072

My grandpa always planted his winter keeper potatoes "in the dark of the moon, in the month of June", otherwise they'd all grow up to tops, so he claimed.

Since most potatoes are a relatively short season crop, im going to plant some early, some mid, and some late.

If you want to check out moon or lunar planting guides, try Farmer's Almanac or Google "lunar gardening". I'm following in my grandpa's footsteps this year and following lunar planting guides, for fun if nothing else. Let us know how your potatoes do.

Duane
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2007
8:16 AM

Post #3378379

Hi Duane,
I'm new to potatoes. I have some seed potatoes ordered, can I plant those at different times (hold some back) or should I order more when I want to plant some more? Thanks, Margo
lfwbrdgwm
River Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3379570

Margo
I just plant a few hills and just use a couple saved potatoes or buy a few potatoes locally when I am ready to plant. I guess you could either buy all at once and save some of the firmer and less sprouted seed potatoes for planting later, or buy at different times.
Perhaps some other potato planters with more than a few hills can give you some better advice.
Duane
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3379969

Irish potatoes detest heat. I have to grow short season cultivars in the early spring. They cannot tolerate July and some times even June gets too hot. I doubt that your summers are much cooler. Might be a good experiment but late planting is going against the odds in the south.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2007
8:41 AM

Post #3382291

Well, that answers that. I know i'm getting a late start, and when I talked to the "potato people" they suggested the mulch method to get some results. Guess it's a good thing I mostly want "new" potatoes:).
Thanks, Margo
freetwofarm
North Tazewell, VA

May 29, 2007
11:34 AM

Post #3547941

I know the last post to this thread was in April and I hope to get an answer to this question. I planted my potatoes and covered them with about four inches of soil. Then when the sprouts started coming through I covered them with about four more inches of soil. Do I have to cover the sprouts when they come through again? I understand that you cannot let the sun light hit the potatoes (not the sprouts) for very long or the potatoes will turn bad. Thanks.

free
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3547966

All you need to do is hill them up. That means pulling dirt up around the plant as they grow. You don't want to cover the plant. If when blooming, the potatoes are in a hill 4 - inches above the surrounding soil, you should be in good shape. The other option of course is to put down 4-6 inches of mulch ( straw, hay, leaves etc) The tubers form above the roots so they need cover. In dirt planting that is accomplished by deep tillage, planting deep, and hilling up as the plants grow,
freetwofarm
North Tazewell, VA

May 29, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #3548507

Thanks Dill. I hope I haven't messed up. Guess I will find out soon.

free
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2007
2:27 PM

Post #3548533

As long as the vines are healthy, you should be all right. Tazewell county is pretty cool, ideal for potatoes. Of course Burkes Garden is the ideal.
freetwofarm
North Tazewell, VA

May 29, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3548584

Beautiful over there. I live in Thompson Valley and can see the mountain separating Thompson Valley from Burke's Garden. It's about eight miles up the valley. I know I tilled the dirt and tried to follow instructions on planting things but, the garden is doing to well. It has got to be the area. Most people I know around here have pretty good gardens. Thanks again Dill.

free

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America