Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Bareroot

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2007
12:36 PM

Post #3361812

Can someone please explain what bareroot is? I ordered some strawberries to start this year for next year's crop and they told me they will be sent as bareroot...
Also, what's the difference in bareroot vs. dormant cuttings vs. budwood/scionwood vs. summer cuttings vs. budwood?
I have access to some fig, peach and grape "cuttings" but I do not know what to order. They're asking me to select which of the above ways that I am asking clarification of, I prefer.
Another option is open-pollinated seeds...
Will someone please advise so I'll know what I'm ordering and why?
Thanks DG!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3363445

Bareroot means that the soil has all been removed from the roots for shipping. This is a pretty common thing that is done with roses, fruit trees, etc. The other things they're offering you are cuttings rather than plants--you'll save money that way but you'll have to root them yourself, so if you're a beginner gardener you're more guaranteed of ending up with a plant if you start with something bareroot rather than a cutting that you have to root yourself. A plant that's not bareroot will be fine too, but it'll cost more to ship since you'll have all the soil on the roots.

As far as the differences between the cuttings...I think scionwood is something that is sold to be grafted onto the rootstock of another plant. This is a more advanced propagation technique so probably not your best bet, but some plants won't start well from cuttings and this is the best way to propagate them. If the one you really want is only available this way, you can sometimes send the cutting somewhere else to have someone else do the grafting for you. Dormant cuttings vs budwood vs summer cuttings I think are just cuttings that are taken at different times of the year, sometimes the propagation techniques to get them to root may be different depending on what time of year the cuttings were taken and some things may root easier from one type of cutting than from another. Unfortunately while I've grown fruit trees and grapes, I've never propagated them so I can't provide advice on which type of cuttings are going to be the easiest to propagate or what the right techniques are.

Open pollinated seeds are ones where the source of the pollen is not controlled (for example if there are a whole bunch of different color zinnias all growing together in a garden area the bees can go to whatever plants they want, they won't just visit the red zinnias). In other words, you know what the "mother" of the seeds was because that's the plant they were collected from, but you don't know what the "father" is that pollinated it. So the plants that come from those seeds may or may not be the same color flower or exact same variety as the plant they came from. Many commercial seed growers carefully control pollination so they know what both parents are, and thus will be able to tell with more certainty what the seeds will give you. In many cases open pollination will produce plants that are similar enough to the parent that it doesn't matter, but if you are trying to grow a particular super duper extra flavorful tomato cultivar for example, open pollinated seeds may not give you the exact plant you want.
zeoplum
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3364135

Thank you ecrane3 for taking the time to answer Pinger42's questions. I was wondering some of these same things.

The people here seem very nice and generous with their knowledge. :-)
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #3364202

Good information for all of us. Thank you.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2007
1:27 PM

Post #3365472

No kidding...I was a little reluctant to even post the questions. This seems to be a whole new can of worms that I've yet to tap into. As well as others, it seems...
I hope this post will continue to grow and we can all learn more in this area. Referring back to my original post on DG...I mentioned that my friends said of my green thumb, "you could grow a stick!"...well, let's just see... (smilin)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3365548

Well, if you really can grow a stick, then you should do great with the cuttings, that's basically what they are! And please don't ever hesitate to post questions--chances are there are other people out there who have the same question!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America