Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

April 6, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3363812

I have an eight foot portable FlowerHouse greenhouse I was given as a gift. The material is translucent so while light does get through it, it is considerably filtered. I'm wondering how this works. I've had seedlings growing under 16 hours of daily warm/cool florescent lighting since February. It will soon be time (temperatures permitting) to pot them and try out the greenhouse. Will enough sunlight actually get through this material? I realize it must or the contraptions wouldn't be on the market but I don't quite understand why they work. How come too much distance with florescent lighting can make seedlings get leggy yet filtered sunlight is apparently not a problem? Do plants not get leggy after a certain seedling growth stage, or what?

I'm also wondering how cold the nighttime temperature can be inside the greenhouse before the plants would be damaged. (I'm in Minnesota -- zone 3b.) Some of my seedlings (especially the Dahlias and Strawflowers) are getting very large and hogging up the florescents so I need to get them out of the way, plus I have Round 2 of seed sowing coming up soon. Thanks in advance for any info and help you can give. This has been such a helpful garden site.
undercover_owl
Oregon City, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3374323

In your zone 5, it's important for plants to get the higher temperatures and humidity that are not available at this time of year, which is what your greenhouse is meant for.

Whether they will get enough light, I personally don't know, since I've never tried to grow any plants during my brief stay in your region, but I do know that red & blue frequency lights are the grow light frequencies, and will help your plants with their photosynthesis.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2007 11:50 PM
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #3374327

I have the same question!! My seedlings (not really even seedlings anymore) are hogging up all my shelf/light space in the basement. It's still too cold here to put them in the GH...the night time temps dip below freezing. I show zone 6a, but tend to be a 5b most of the time.

Michelle

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3376500

Re the light intensity- I suspect we don't realize just how bright the outside is compared to flourescents. The light from the flours diminishes so quickly when you get away from the bulb.
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

April 10, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3376767

Michelle
For what it's worth to you, I just started rotating them, which means they are being cut from 16 to 12 hours of light per day in two shifts -- I don't know what else to do -- but because I'm trying this for the first time it may be a disaser. I'm just guessing 12 hours is better than no hoyrs (for the overflow).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3377080

As to temperature- if it gets to freezing outside then start to worry about your greenhouse.. It will probably be warmer inside your greenhouse than out, though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America