Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Shed: Need replacement suggestions for Craftsman 6.5 HP RT tiller

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 4, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
iagardenwolf
Ankeny, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3365410

Our 4 yr old Craftsman 6.5 HP rear tine tiller blew a few valves and needs to be replaced. When we originally got this tiller, we thought it would be about to handle anything we threw at it, but didn't. Luckily we were just finishing up the spring tilling when it bit the dust, and won't need something ASAP.

We are looking for something of equivalent size, if not larger, with rear tines, & larger motor. DH is currently looking at the larger Troy Bilts. Does anyone have a larger, newer Troy Built, and if so, what are your thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 8, 2007
7:00 AM

Post #3367709

I bought a slightly used Troy Built 8HP tiller in 1987, I think. It still hums along, doing it's thing. I've had to fix a thing or two no & then. It has a Kohler engine. A screw from the carburetor came out & got in the cylinder & made a mess. Because of the type of motor, it was repairable. As far as the tiller itself, replaced the belt once, and a spring. Tines are another item, I used it so much I have wore out 8 sets of tines & they are reversible! It's sitting in the shed waiting for this April winter to go away so it can work another year.
By the way, I used to have 18 acres of garden, cut back to 5 acres a few years ago.
Bernie
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #3462577

I put a new 6.5 overhead valve brigs on my troy built and it is doing as good of a job as ever i wasn't lucky enough to get one with the 8 horse Kohler on mine it had that 7horse that they used for a number of years was near as good of an engine

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3498466

You can buy the Kohler 8 HP at Northern Tool.
http://www.northerntool.com/
Last time I looked it was around $600.
Bernie
iagardenwolf
Ankeny, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3501395

DH ended up finding another Briggs motor to replace the one that bit the dust. The body of the tiller was fine. I'm not sure what was different between the new motor and the old one, but he said he thought the new motor ran better then the old one.

Thanks for the tips and advise!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America