Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Need poppy help...Quick please!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 1, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3366227

Hey. I'm in Georgia 7b. I was wondering if it would be a benefit to germination if I planted my poppy seeds today so that they would have the next 3 nights of really cold weather before it warmed up. And should I just sprinkle them and press into the dirt so they are uncovered and get the light? I've heard mixed info. on sowing and was hoping I could use this dreaded cold front for something good. I've never grown poppies and have heard so much bad info., I'm afraid I won't be successful. I need and elementary A,B,C plan for Dummies! I love them so much!

Also, I have some of the opium poppies as well (didn't know until I had purchased from ebay - they have the BEST pods!). Anyway, I just want to make absolute sure that I won't be in any trouble from growing these. Believe it or not, I have an ex- narcotics cop across the street from me! HA HA. Nice neighbor, but don't want him to have to drive by these each day and them start "keeping an eye on me". LOL.

Please help!
Thanks in advance,
Catherine
chef_tish
Alexander, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #3370384

I thought the same thing. I had two packets of red poppies just waiting to be sown. I decided to go ahead and scatter and lightly rake in one of my raised beds. I guess we'll see how things turn out. I kept reading how cold temps really helped their germination. I've never grown poppies before. I hope it works.

I think I lost a couple of tomato plants from last night's cold temps. Had them covered, but my stakes came loose (wind, I think) and half of them were uncovered when I checked this morning. :( Looked pretty wilted. Maybe they'll perk up over the next few days.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America